Does your dog ever "alert" to some random word or phrase?

Thread: Does your dog ever "alert" to some random word or phrase?

Lee in Texas is offline Member

DefaultDoes your dog ever "alert" to some random word or phrase?

I was talking to my mom recently about planting blackberries in the back yard and I said she should come take a look. Just then Lady walks over with a look on her face that said "What? I wanna take a look!". So went went outside to take a look. Now whenever I say that phase, it gets her attention. Just just kinda struck me as odd.
    Lady at 12 weeks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

Well at the pond today i said Bentley straigh bentley to your left adn he listened if that si what you mean. I never trained him to do that same with the shoes. If I accidently let a bad word slip Tank gives me the look of " oh no you didn't". thena You are so in trouble look.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Erns has many, but one of his favourite is go. Think he is thinking of going for a walk as when someone says it he gets his lead and sits by the front door. If I am out and he hears the word go his ears prick up, head tilt as if to say...we did go...are we going home...go where...did hear right. olol. Gets quite confused.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

fanny&eddiesmom is offline Senior Member

I have a bunch of words I use when I am at the park with the dogs. Fanny responds to the one corresponding to how she feels - ride in the car, sup-sup, Mom-Mom, Daddy, walk, swimmies. Now that she does not come with us, Eddie has to learn the words or - I should say - I have to learn the word he will respond to. Ride is one! Swimmies is another. Anything else we are learning together.

At home I have one that only Fanny reponds too - kisses. This means she has to get on the couch and get her hug and kiss before I leave for work. When I say it, she look up at the couch and weighs whether it is worth it or not!

Tucker is offline Senior Member

Tucker's is "you want"..."YOU WANT to go for a walk?", "YOU WANT to go for a ride in the car?", "YOU WANT a piece of cheese?", "YOU WANT ice?"...anything following "YOU WANT" is always good...lol...whenever I try to get his attention and he ignores me, I will say something like "YOU WANT to pay attention??"...LOL

rpost7786 is offline Senior Member

The only word that gets Avery's attention is "COOKIE" lol
    Rachel, Keith, Scarlett & Avery = One happy little Family

"A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A water log stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if your rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he'll give you his. How many people can you say that about? How many people can make you feel rare and pure and special? How many people can make you feel extraordinary?"- John Grogan

mombear is offline Senior Member

Parker's word(s) is "Hot dog"

Retriever Mama is offline Senior Member

Other than food words and commands the one word that they both pay attention to is "Here"...as in so and so is here...and they go running to the front window to see if someone is here. We've now taken to saying someone has "arrived" if we see them pull in before the dogs do because it gives us a second to corral them before they go bonkers.

Oh, and Brooklyn gets all hopped up over "Grandma". My MIL used to sneak her treats as a puppy and is now her favorite person in the world. I sometimes resort to using "Grandma's here" to get her inside when she won't come in. LOL
    Melissa, Remy & Brooklyn

tismom is offline Senior Member

While both dogs respond to "walk" and "ride," it's "treats" for Titan; Mo prefers "bones." Dogs do respond to different words. When Titan was 2, I finally discovered that "no mouth" would stop the gentle nibbling of my hand.

Titan--Chocolate 4/15/01
    Moses--Yellow 10/12/09

SharonaZamboni is offline Senior Member

I can't think of anything unusual right now, but Bean always watches the TV when our local station's stock market report music plays. He also gets my phone for me if it's sounding a text alert.