Parker's First Night in Class

Thread: Parker's First Night in Class

mombear is offline Senior Member

DefaultParker's First Night in Class

Well folks we went to class last night. It started off good, he rode in the car like a champ, without the harness, he just had his head out the window, did not try to drive (I had a dog that did this). Went into the place and he was fine, did not try to attack anyone played sniffy butt with a few and behaved himself. We went over a sat next to some guy and his 6 month old (but HUGE) German Shepherd pup, nice boy. He kept wanting to sniff around with Parker. Parker was okay with that for a while and then wham he went after him growling and biting. The teacher said, hold his leash closer which I did. But then the guy was going to give Parker one of his treats and the GS came around and it happened again. So I had to take a chair with parker apart a little bit. Sigh!!! The rest of the evening he was cool as a cucumber, laid by my chair just looking around at all the other dogs. Seemed rather bored with the whole thing (because the guy talked a whole lot...first night). Then we taught them to heel and sit, which I will be practicing with him tonight.

Why why why does this dog do that with other dogs? He did that at his first puppy class and I thought he'd be over it by now. Is he jealous? Is he trying to exert his dominance. And can this instructor break him of this obnoxious habit. He is so good with me and my family, including my two grandsons who he loves. Can anyone help me out with this.

I am always afraid to post here for fear what folks might think of me or my dog. I love Parker to death and basically he is a sweetheart except for this one problems. Please offer some encouragement and ideas. Thanks so much.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

But then the guy was going to give Parker one of his treats and the GS came around and it happened again.
    It's rare to have a dog that shares treasured resources happily with strangers. He had something of value, or was about to get it, and he, being a predatory animal with teeth, defended that valued item the only way he could.

What did your instructor say? Did you talk about this issue?

oakley is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mombear View Post
    I am always afraid to post here for fear what folks might think of me or my dog. I love Parker to death and basically he is a sweetheart except for this one problems. Please offer some encouragement and ideas. Thanks so much.
    I am certainly in no position to judge you. Parker sounds a lot like Oakley.
    I think we both would be more at risk of being judged if we did nothing to try to modify our dogs behaviour. I have attended several levels of obedience, private lessons with specialized trainers and bark busters. I would LOVE to do agility with Oakley, I think she would really excel at it. But it just is not enjoyable for me with her lunging, barking and jumping at the other dogs.

My advice? Keep doing what you are doing. If you don't give up, I won't give up!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Don't judge him so harshly in the interaction with the GSD pup. Most people don't read dogs well and you have no idea what sort of vibes the GSD was exuding. My shepherd was always starting things up with her behavior to other dogs - she was not usually the one to growl first - but she inspired a lot of defensiveness in other dogs with her body language.

Since you know that he will react this way with other dogs you should very slowly introduce him socially to the other dogs in the class. I would do the work and let him get used to being in this social situation. He will probably eventually warm up to certain dogs and not others.

And - letting your dog ride in the car with his head out the window is asking for problems. If he can get his head out, the whole body can follow. In addition the wind/debris in the air can hurt his eyes. Just not so safe for him.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

joflake is offline Senior Member

I don't have advice, but just wanted to say, don't be afraid to post here. This is the best place to come to learn helpful ways to train your dog and nobody has a right to judge anybody else. You're here asking for help, that's all that counts.

dweck is offline Senior Member

As an asst obed instructor, I can tell you that we see this (dog-to-dog issues early in the class rotation) a lot. Which is why we tell incoming students that, until we get a firm bead on every dog, please limit d-t-d interactions. Which isn't to say you're to blame for the snarlie charlie incident. In fact, I commend you for being attentive enough to know when to step away w/Parker and let things cool off. You'd be surprised -- or maybe not -- how many beginner handlers have a HUGE issue w/their dogs and another dog and they just stand there, slack-jawed: "Oh my. Look at that. My dog is foaming at the mouth, eyes rolled back and completely wild. Wonder if I should do something?"

My advice is to probably stand somewhere OTHER than next to the GSD at the next class. And keep up w/the training. Ensure your dog is being socialized under CAREFUL supervision around other dogs. And let him know what your expectations of behavior are in this situation.

Kelrobin Cleveland Street Denizen, CGC, RN [Parker]

"Dear George: Remember, no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings. Love, Clarence" -- IAWL Screenplay (1946)

blackjack is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by oakley View Post
    Parker sounds a lot like Oakley.
    My advice? Keep doing what you are doing. If you don't give up, I won't give up!
    And a lot like BJ. He is fine with 90% of the dogs he is around. And the dogs he goes after are usually younger than him. At the dog park, I try to keep him away from the dogs I know he has issues with, and I try not to give off a worried vibe when I see them. But the other owners of the dogs he doesn't like don't help much. You would think that they would steer clear of him, but they don't - especially this one hyper pitbull puppy. And then when BJ reacts - I feel like the blame is on me even though I am trying to keep him away.

Don't give up - I keep hoping that BJ will mellow with age!

Rusty, Blaze & Buster Brown
    BJ - 3/9/2007 - 2/6/12 - miss you everyday
    Boomer - ? - 3/15/12 - always in my heart