Kennel Cough - How long for Isolation
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kennel Cough - How long for Isolation

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultKennel Cough - How long for Isolation

I talked to two vets (one is my own vet) who said 7-10 isolation from other dogs from the time of exposure/coughing.

But others are saying to be more careful and "wait longer". Heck I have heard 2 weeks after last cough (so what if a dog is exposed but doesn't cough?) to a month after.

By "going out" i mean dog park, walks on the street, letting them meet dogs on walks, etc.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Alaskalab is offline Senior Member

I just went through this as my puppy just turned 5 months and we are planning on going to training classes. My vet and breeder both have said if they are young pups or older dogs they should be isolated for 1 month. Otherwise 2 weeks is sufficient. I guess the younger and older have weaker immune systems and it takes longer to fight it off.

BucksMom is offline Senior Member

I'd be cautious. I think the reason they want people to hold of is to prevent an epidemic because it is so highly contagious. My guy caught it from a puppy that visited our home for a couple of hours, the pup had no cough that day but he came down with it a few days later. My guy, a few days after that. It was thanksgiving weekend and the E-vet didn't even want us to bring him in without a cell phone call from the parking lot, so they could isolate. I didn't bother taking him in, we just rode it out. Hope it clears up for you.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

What is young? is a dog "more contagious" or "contagious longer" because they are young?

two weeks = 14 days? So why are my vets saying 7-10?

Bucksmom - how long before you walked your guy again?

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

I say about 10 days is good.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

While he was coughing, we stayed home. About a week after cough stopped, we walked again. He didn't meet any other dogs during that time. The three next door never caught it, chain link fence in between. It probably helped that it was cold outside so the virus couldn't live very long. This time of year tho, with niffin and drooling, probably easier to transmit. You said it was a mild case, is she still coughing? Any signs of Rocky coming down with it?

Samson is offline Senior Member

OK ! Can somebody explain why you should isolate a dog with kennel cough ? I can understand with an elderly or sickly dog or a nursing dog but my two picked it up from the dog park and I certainly didn't take precautions other than explaining to the other dog owners.

It took a week for them to shake it off completely just recently and although it's distressing to hear them cough, what lasting damage do they suffer ?

ETA that if my dogs were sickly or nursing ( not going to happen ) then I wouldn't take them out to meet other dogs ! It wouldn't stop me taking them out when they were healthy but old !
    Last edited by Samson; 06-07-2011 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvmydog2much View Post
    I say about 10 days is good.
    And this is what vets tell me. So if she started coughing on teh 1rst, was diagnosed by vet on the 2nd and rocky was exposed on the 4th, that means (assuming Rocky does NOT start coughign between now and the end of this period) 4+10=14 (using the farthest date out)

So on the 15th I could take them both to the dog park and not feel like I am being an evil person?

Ok so I ask because I am planning a trip to Cambridge where I leave on the 16th with the dogs. Both people who I will be meeting up with at the other end KNOW all this and are ok with it but I am hearing such mixed opinions that I am lost. We would go for walks in public over there. Others say they wouldn't come near me with a ten foot pole on the 16th.

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

They're paranoid.

You're good to go by the 16th for sure, I'd say...unless Rocky starts coughing.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

From what i have heard, very young puppies, elderly, and sick dogs can die from the virus. And its so contagious. The pup that visited me had been adopted from a shelter, that shelter ended up quarantined, they lost a few. Its just normal prevention.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast