WWYD

Thread: WWYD

Lucky6 is offline Senior Member

DefaultWWYD

Ok, so in the past two weeks I've been charged at by three separate dogs in my neighborhood. Even before I got koko I would walk baby once in the morn and once in the evening. Never was bothered by any dogs. But last week, early morning a scottish terrier came from its unfenced back yard barking and growling and snipping at Koko. Koko is NOT dog aggressive and never barks so she stood there with her hackles up not sure what to do. I kept walking with dog and baby in tow and the dog continued to follow us and bark, eventually it went back to its house. The second time was from a boston terrier, loose from its house and was a bit more aggressive. Every step we took he would charge and bark, that dog has also bitten my neighbor's datschun. Then there was this morning, I was coming around the corner and this lady walks out of her house with her boston terrier, at first he just barked and charged us from his front yard while the lady watched, then he came out into the street and barked at us. The stupid lady was just standing there calling her dogs name, which he ignored her. She didn't apologize or chase after dog. I have my hands full pushing baby and holding leash so there is not much I can do but keep walking but I am about fed up with it. So I called animal control and asked what can I do. She was very nice and said if I give her their addys she will send someone out there to remind them to be more responsible with their dogs because of the liability issue. Luckily Koko remains calm and does not react but if my German Shepherds were still alive there would of been a blood bath. Do you think I am over reacting or do you agree this is a problem? Would you report all situations or just the most aggressive ones?
    Katie adopted by koko

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Seamus Lab is offline Senior Member

I don't think you're over reacting at all. I can't believe all those incidents in one neighborhood. I would definitely give Animal Control their addresses.

Well the first two incidents the owners were unaware their dogs had escaped but the third one the lady was present so if I do complain that women will definetly know it was me who called. Not that I care. It just perturbs me because having had dog aggressive dogs I always took great caution and never allowed any room for escapes or mistakes because that could potentially mean a bite and I would have to put the dogs down. I don't mind friendly dogs being lose, even though it is against the law, but I do mind being charged at and scaring my dog and baby. Grrrrr.....I've had to start carrying around an umbrella so I would have some sort of defense.
    Katie adopted by koko

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

For protection, you might consider carrying a can of "Guard Alaska Bear Repellent" (Google will show a number of sources at a variety of prices).

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Great idea Bob...I'll look into that asap
    Katie adopted by koko

justine is offline Senior Member

Yikes! I'm glad that Koko is calm and collected - I don't think Abbey would be. She doesn't like getting charged (especially after her being attacked at the dog park), so she probably would have freaked out on me.

I agree - call animal control.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr. View Post
    For protection, you might consider carrying a can of "Guard Alaska Bear Repellent" (Google will show a number of sources at a variety of prices).

A Boston Terrier shot with a bear repellent could possibly die, given their inherent breathing problems.

Maybe a spray bottle or kids waterpistol filled with vingegar or lemon juice? That would stop a lot of dogs in their tracks and not permanently harm.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.