Questions about fostering

Thread: Questions about fostering

hmhershey is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestions about fostering

So i am interested in learning more about fostering dogs. How does it work? I know that's a broad question but I don't know anything about it.

Bentley and his favorite toy. 2/5/11

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

At the pound in my town you go in say I am not ready to adopt but would like to foster. They take you to the back and show you the dogs that need a foster to "come out of their shell" or they have health problems ect... i was going to foster but i would keep them all,lol. I also know you pay for most of their shots and stuff. Well that is how our pound does it.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

How do they get adopted out? Are we as the foster parent in charge of advertising. I think my latest concern is that this fostering stuff would end up being long term. I'm all about helping out but if I wanted a dog long term I would just adopt another ya know.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Depends on the rescue group/shelter. The rescue group that I work with pays all the costs involved (vet and food), does the advertising and networking as well as screening adopters and choose the successful applicants - "all" I offer is my home and time. Personally, I prefer not to do the screening or choosing, so this group is an ideal fit for me. Other groups have different methods - nothing wrong with doing it differently. If you post your general area , other members might have contacts for rescue groups close to you.

How do family pets react to fosters. I'm wondering what Bentley would do. He loves dogs but dont want him to feel left out.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

totally depends on the rescue, it really can vary alot.

I work with two (and am picky on who I foster for). They pay for food, vettings, meds, crate (they have one I can borrow). Sometimes if they have treat/toys they give me some but that depends, I usually cover treats, toys if I so feel inclined (no obligation to do this, I just like to) and poop bags (I don't havce a yard so got to pick up). They give me a leash and collar and one of them will provide a training collar if I really needed one (but I prefer my leather leash so use my own, and I now have a few training collars/harnesses) in various sizes.

They advertize the dogs, though my walking around with them and talking to people helps (my last foster was adopted by my stoping into a store with him and the manager falling in love with him). They screen the applications but have me read it over. THey come with me ot the home visit (which i personally prefer anyway, I hate going alone) and I can always say "no" if I am uncomfortable. I have to make the dog available for home visits (and vet visits - though I usually go to those). One of hte rescues I work for will bring the dog to the home visit without you if you prefer it that way.

Some rescues work VERY differently so be aware.

It is rewarding but hard, hard to say goodbye and a certain amount of work. THe dogs don't always have major issues (or any) but hey are going thru a transition, some need training, some may have some ressource issues at first. You have to be ready for anything. both rescues have had first time fosters call in the middle of the night saying "pick up this dog NOW". No joke. there are times when you will want to pull your hair out! And then they are placed and you miss them, but it is worth it when you get an update

ETA: I have my fosters usually from 1.5 months to 3 months.
    Last edited by Tanya; 06-06-2011 at 06:37 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

kaytris is offline Senior Member

depends entirely on the dog. I've had a number of fosters (and paying boarders) come in and out, and one of my dogs will mope for a day or two if she really enjoyed playing with the foster/boarder, but soon snaps out of it. Myself, I go in knowing that each foster is a temporary guest, and saying goodbye is hard, but not impossible - I know I am a "transition" home, not a forever one (that being said, I have "failed" twice at fostering, keeping two dogs....)

I've presently been fostering a litter of 9 puppies and their momma, and that has been TONS of work (and TONS of fun). I've also had behaviourally challenged fosters that required a significant amount of work, but that doesn't mean that ALL fostering is loads of work - be clear with the rescue group what you are willing and able to do. If you have small animals/children/a busy work load/no fenced yard/etc etc, be up front about all of that.. a reputable rescue group will match a foster with the abilities/preferences of the foster home as much as possible.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

agree, with the above, depends on your dog. Remember that he may not become best friends and play with all of them and there may be scuffles (I've had a few instances here).

Rocky isn't into playing with other dogs. He has this look of annoyance when I bring one in then they bug him so he keeps giving me these looks and sigh's. but they eventually find a balance. a few he ended up playing with , others they just co existed. I think some he was "sad" to see leave (in a manner of speaking)

and again, agree iwht kaytris - be VERY honest and what you cannot deal with. For me, I am taking a break from dog reactive dogs (I have fostered a few and likely will again, but for now, give me the friendly dogs please) and I have only had one dog who was possessive aggressive and I simply am not good (i.e. terrible) at dealing with it so that i say no to. However, I have been doing younger dogs for the first time (bring on the vinegar and paper towel! LOL) at 5-6 months.
    Last edited by Tanya; 06-06-2011 at 06:53 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

I second (or third) what kaytris & Tanya have said. The rescue I foster with covers any necessary medical care, but I supply the food, treats, love, some basic training, etc.

The rescue does all the marketing/advertising, reviews the applications, home visits on prospective adopters, etc.

I know that my almost 8 year old female chocolate does better with the younger pups & I work from home, so I tend to stick with the younger pups, who may still needs some housetraining.

It is very hard to see them move on, but so far they've most have gone on to awesome "fur"ever families. I'm even still in touch with some of my fosters new families. My most recent foster, Ebony, actually went on to another foster family due to a business trip for me. I have cried with each one's departure, Sunday it was in my car headed East I-84 in Connecticut after turning Ebs over to Brian & his family.

My pretty girl, Lexi!