Camping
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camping

hmhershey is offline Senior Member

DefaultCamping

So in a little over a month, we are going camping for the first time with Bentley. I haven't camped with a dog since I was little. I'm wondering what all things I should bring. We will be two hours from home so I plan on bringing his shot records and the number of the closest reputable vet, also an extra leash and collar in case they break. Anything else you can think of that I would need, besides the basic food and treats?

Bentley and his favorite toy. 2/5/11

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BlkLabLuv is offline Member

You’re so cute… : )…. Such the concerned first time Mommy. I luv it. Are you camping for six months?...just kidding of course. Your not gonna need that stuff. Remember, your camping, bring only the essentials and your only 2 hours from home. I camp a lot with my Labs and as you can see in the pic below they love it! I Let’em get dirty! This is I we roll…Make sure where your going is pet friendly, I bring a basic first aid kit, a long lead, some sort of mat, lots of tennis balls, raw hide (or what ever you let pup chew on), one or two toys that I don’t mind if they end up dirty or in the trash, couple of extra treats, and since my dogs are black and hard to see them at night, small cow bell (.99 cents in most all fishing sections of Wal-Mart/Target) to attach to their collier, and spotbrite “safe-t-tags”. They are bone or heart shaped blinking red lights ($5 in the leash section at petco/petsmart) that easily attach to the collier and they are motion activated so they only flash when the dog moves and you can write your camp site location/number on them. Also, since I don’t leash them much, I go to my camp neighbor and ask them to let me know if my dogs stray into their camp. This is just my list. I’m sure there are some other things you or other people might need.

You and pup are going to have a great time!

Maggie Mae and Sara Ann

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

I suggest a dog first aid kit, with the basics. Self nonadhesive wraps, tick key (remover), disinfectant of some sort, tweezers, small scissors, band-aids, benedryl **talk to your vet about dosage**, pepto bismal tablets, a small bottle of hydrogen peroxide in case you need to induce vomiting ... that sort of thing.

Take an extra day or two's worth of food in case it gets spilled or whatever.

Have fun! What kind of camping are you doing? Wilderness/Interior camping or car camping at a campground?
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

It's actually in a one room ity bitty cabin lol. So nothing to crazy. We are right on the water so he will be able to swim lots. At home he sticks right by my side but not sure if he will with everyone there. I believe there will be 15 of us all family. I was thinking of getting a long tie out and have him tied to whatever is around me so he still feels "free" but then I'm not concerned of running away. The campground is near a busy road and that makes me nervous.

You're definitely going to want to tie him up.
    ~Samantha

How long of a tie out do you think would be good. He is a big time mommies boy and cries like mooned business when he can't see me. I'm going to check at the hardware store for the plastic covered chain or cable and see how much it would cost as opposed to buying one at petco

Get a hands free leash and tie him to you. Other wise I'd say it depends on the area and the dog. Research and find out. They may have rules RE: length of tie outs.
    ~Samantha

Stupid auto correct. That was supposed to be no ones business lol

Isn't that funny? My brain read it as "no ones business" LMAO ...
    I'm the anti-auto correct.
    ~Samantha

Well they have studies out there that when reading all you need is the first 2 letters and the last letter to be able to read a word... Regardless of how jumbled the letters in the middle are. Kinda interesting lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast