Best prescription food for bladder stones?

Thread: Best prescription food for bladder stones?

sitali is offline Member

DefaultBest prescription food for bladder stones?

Hey guys... it's been a long time since I've been here!

Gypsy is now about 9 1/2 and had emergency surgery yesterday for bladder stones (one was blocking her completely and she couldn't urinate). The vet sent the stones out for analysis and then will be letting us know how we should change her diet. I wanted to get ahead of the game a bit and start looking at the food options and best places to buy/order from. The person I spoke with today said that Hill's is probably easiest to get, but that Waltham makes an excellent food, but is harder to find. I did a little looking and "Waltham" seems to be Royal Canin Urinary SO?

Does anyone feed an Rx diet for stones, and if so what do you feed and where do you get it?

Thanks... it's been a rough couple days, but Gypsy is now home and resting. In a lot of pain though.

Suzanne

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

First sorry about the ordeal. That's a worry for you & not a nice experience for the dog.

One of my Pugs went through the same thing a few years ago. I ended up feeding him Hills CD canned & kibble food for the rest of his life. You will find you will have to get PH tests on her urine on a regular basis to check the acid & alkaline levels. I can't remember which way it went but I THINK if the alkaline level was too high, we had to add ammonium chloride to his food to balance it up. You will probably have to monitor her like this for the rest of her life as they can reoccur.

My boy also had to stop eating vegetables which was hard on him because he loved his veges. Once again, I THINK it was to control the acid level but I'm not 100% sure. It's been about 20 years & a few more dogs later so my brain is a bit foggy on the subject.

Your vet will advise you properly regarding diet once he/she knows what type of stones they're dealing with. Good luck.

tismom is offline Senior Member

I'm glad that you have a diagnosis, but it will mean some changes in food. Our Dalmatian had bladder stones; like Garth, we used Hill's UD food, both dry and canned. Supposedly, one could slice and then bake the canned food to have treats, but I never mastered this. By the way, Hawk was diagnosed at 3 years old; he lived until 14 1/2. You can work with this, and your dog can have a normal lifestyle.

Titan--Chocolate 4/15/01
    Moses--Yellow 10/12/09

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CindersMyGirl is offline Senior Member

Hey, Suz...sorry about Gypsy. Poor girl. My cat is on a prescription food for urinary health and it's the royal canin one. We get it at Petsmart but need a prescription to buy it.I hope she's feeling better soon.

( I was thinking about contacting you with more strep questions)

sitali is offline Member

Thanks, guys. I will wait to hear from the vet, but I think I'll also see who around here carries the Royal Canin in case that's an option. I *think* I've heard/read that they make a decent quality food?

Samson is offline Senior Member

Hi Suz !

Get well soon Gypsy !

sitali is offline Member

Hi Colin!

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
    Hi Suz !

Get well soon Gypsy !

Melissa is offline Senior Member

Hi Suz. I don't have any food suggestions, but I hope Gypsy is feeling better soon!

Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end. -- Unknown

kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

Derby had a bout with bladder crystals about 3 years ago. He had struvite crystals. It was treated with cranberry capsules and Methio-Form (methionine). No change in diet. You might want to contact Patty at Snowco Labradors, she has posted quite a bit about urinary issues in dogs.

"Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson