Switching to adult dog food....what do you think of Diamond Naturals?

Thread: Switching to adult dog food....what do you think of Diamond Naturals?

Yellow Dog is offline Member

DefaultSwitching to adult dog food....what do you think of Diamond Naturals?

We have one more bag of puppy food for our 9 month old lab, and then we are switching to an adult food.

Our breeder recommends Diamond Naturals lamb and rice. He says it's a great food for a very reasonable price - around $30 for a 40 pound bag. Does anyone feed their dogs this food, and if so, how are the dogs' stools?

I am also considering Taste of the Wild, Orijen, and Premium Edge, as I have heard good things about these brands too.

If anyone has experience using these dog foods, I would appreciate any insight. I really want to feed Murphy something that he will enjoy and will allow him to have firm stools.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lisa is offline Senior Member

My daughter's lab/boxer mix is on Diamond Naturals lamb and rice and she does excellent on it. It is decent food for a reasonable price.

My boys have been on it for years and years. I like it. Can't help you on the stools part, though, as my boys also like to snack on horse food, both before AND after it's been processed by the horse.... (very fiberous...)
    Home of:

Forrest CGC- Lab 2001-2011
    Poopy-Toby-JRT 2004-
    Finn- Lab/Aussie- 2011-
    And 30-some Miniature Horses...

www.fieldofdreamsminihorses.com

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his leader, his love. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. Unknown

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

Mine is on Orijen adult and he loves it and yes the stools are regular and firm. It does seem to be a very high quality food, but it costs more than twice what you're looking at with Diamond, which may at some point drive me to try something else.
    I don't have any experience with the other brands, but there is a current thread regarding TOTW: https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/l...-question.html

Cheley is offline Senior Member

My 9 yr old girls have been on Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice for 7-8 years and do very well on it. Sophie had been having skin problems and ear infections on their previous food. She has not had a single problem since I switched to the Diamond L&R (which has no corn, wheat or soy).

I tried Taste of the Wild Pacific Blend with my 1 yr old. Unfortunately, she has a long list of allergies (including sweet potato) so I had to switch her to a different food. Her stools were firm and regular on TOTW, but sweet potato is one of her high allergy foods so that food was out.

~Cheley, Kendall, Sophie, and Willow

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

My chocolate lab was on Diamond and did very well on it. Even my vet had to admit it was a decent food and held it's own next to Science Diet.
    I tried Diamond and SD with Mya, she got the squirts with absolutely everything I gave her until I put her on IAMS Large Breed 1+ years. She does super on it.
    Go figure
    Cheley, how did you come to find out your dog was allergic to sweet potatoes?

javasmom is offline Senior Member

TOTW is one of the foods I rotate with my girls and they do very well on it.
    Their poops are very small and firm.

Cheley is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Jane View Post
    Cheley, how did you come to find out your dog was allergic to sweet potatoes?
    Willow was scratching constantly, so much that she had bald spots on her back and ears. Took her to the vet and she had a bite on her back that looked infected. We weren't sure if she was scratching because of the bite, or if the bite was infected because she was scratching. Antibiotics for 2 weeks, and she was still scratching like crazy. My vet and I discussed it and opted for allergy testing. She is allergic to corn, rice, sweet potatoes, potatoes, chicken, lamb, eggs, peanuts, soy beans, green beans, tomatos and yeast. It took me hours of research to find a food that was available in my area and didn't contain any of those ingredients, but I did find one that 2 different pet stores can order for me. It's Nature's Variety Turkey Meal Limited Ingredient Formula. She's been on it for about a month and she is like a completely different dog! No more scratching and her coat looks great! Definitely worth the cost of the allergy testing.

~Cheley, Kendall, Sophie, and Willow