Ear Infection and Meds + Allergies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ear Infection and Meds + Allergies

Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

DefaultEar Infection and Meds + Allergies

First thing this morning I woke up to Dee scratch, scratch, scratching and shaking her head over and over. No signs of anything yesterday, so this seems to have come on very suddenly. Actually I was up earlier (6 a.m.) and she was fast asleep. She is prone to yeasty ears, but with regular cleaning she hasn't had any problems for ages. I last cleaned her ears on Tuesday night with Otomax cleaner. I did notice the left one looked a little irritated, but nothing much and I figured the ear cleaner would sort it out. Nothing obvious last night.....no scratching or head shaking. When I checked it this morning one ear was very inflamed and actually bleeding a little (no doubt from her scratching it)......also smelly. I called my Vet and they squeezed us in within the hour. We're back home with Surolan drops, Vanectyl P (which I believe is an antihistimine and prednisone combo pill) and Orbax (an antibiotic). Strangely, (and before I had chance to use any of the meds) she pretty much stopped shaking her head and wasn't scratching at all. After using the Surolan drops she is shaking her head a bit again.

Anyway I'm wondering if anyone has had their dog on Vanectyl P? I looked on line and it says not to come off it abruptly. Well she's only supposed to be on it for a short time, so not sure what they mean by abruptly.

And Orbax (antibiotic of some sort) for a week.....anyone familar with this?
    I went in expecting just to get some antibiotic ears drops (Surolan), but I guess he thought she needed the Vanectyl P and Orbax as well. I bought a package of Greenies Pill Pockets. The Orbax pills are quite big, but went down okay in the pill pocket.

I guess I'm going to have to check her ears more often than once or twice a week. Allergies are bad right now apparently. She's been chewing at her feet more than usual lately and the cream the vet prescribed doesn't seem to be helping like it used to.

Maybe it's time to see a dermatologist. Her allergies are really limited to her paws and ears......plus she has anal gland issues, but I'm not sure if that's allergy related. I don't think her allergies are food related. The rest of her skin is great. She's never even had a hot spot.

TIA for any info/experience on the Vanectyl P and Orbax etc. They said it's okay to use all three together. Seems like a lot for an ear infection, but hopefully it will clear up quickly.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

No advice on those meds. Just had Blaise to the vet today for an ear infection too. Yeast. And he is on Mometamax drops for 14 days. It's a nasty yucky looking ear that he was not favoring/shaking his head or scratching. I just happened to clean out his ears and found a mess in one.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

Have you considered her food if this is an ongoing problem. I had Nellie on Kirkland chicken and rice and when they changed the formula she started with the ear infections. With Bailey it turned out he is allergic to chicken. Since changing their food to a salmon and sweet potato formula we have no more problems.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by nellies mom View Post
    Have you considered her food if this is an ongoing problem. I had Nellie on Kirkland chicken and rice and when they changed the formula she started with the ear infections. With Bailey it turned out he is allergic to chicken. Since changing their food to a salmon and sweet potato formula we have no more problems.
    You know I don't think it is food related Danie. I can't be sure, but for the most part it's her paws that are affected....oh and her chin......things that touch stuff (grass, the ground) the most if that makes sense. The yeasty ears (and I'm assuming it's the same issue she has this time) were a real problem in her first year, but since then as long as I watch them and use cleaner at the first sign of irritation....they've been pretty good. For some reason this time it seemed to take off quickly. It's 90 percent one ear; the other one is very mildly affected. I did trying switching foods some time back; not so much because of allergies, but because I liked the ingredients in the food I switched to better (salmon and barley). Unfortunately it didn't seem to suit her and seemed to set off anal glands issues that she hadn't previously had; so I switched back. I've had her on Royal Canin Mobility Diet most of her life due to hip issues and she does pretty well on it. They recently changed the formula and personally I found the original one better. Hip-wise (touch wood) she's doing okay, so I'm hesitant to switch because maybe this food has helped keep her hip problem in check. I also give her a little salmon with most meals. Allergies are such a hard one to figure out. My sister is currently taking her dog to a dermatologist trying to sort out his allergy issues and is having some success, but the dog is on a special diet and another type of medication. The minute he comes off the medication he's scratching again. Actually he was on the Vanectyl for quite awhile and that apparenly caused other problems which they are now dealing with. Most of the time Dee's allergies aren't a huge issue; frustrating but manageable. Her paws.....right now she's chewing and licking anytime she thinks I'm not looking. That seems to be getting worse, but then it is Spring and a bad time of year for allergies.
    Last edited by Top Of The Hill; 06-04-2011 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    No advice on those meds. Just had Blaise to the vet today for an ear infection too. Yeast. And he is on Mometamax drops for 14 days. It's a nasty yucky looking ear that he was not favoring/shaking his head or scratching. I just happened to clean out his ears and found a mess in one.
    Hope they both have nice clean ears soon!

kassabella is offline Senior Member

This sounds very much like Kassa. Vets couldn't find anything meds etc., then my SIL said it is from being wet. Thought madness as it was summer, but dried her paws often and everytime she drank wiped her chin and it helped.I was told to use Nizarol (human dandruff shampoo) and never had a problem again.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

You know the more I think about it I'm kind of puzzled as to why the vet would put her on Vanectyl P.....which is apparently an antihistimine and steroid (prednisone). Yes her ear is sore and itchy, but shouldn't the Surolan and oral antibiotics take care of that. I'm just concerned about the side effects of the Vanectyl P......though I'm sure my vet has his reasons and knows what he is doing.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Top Of The Hill View Post
    You know the more I think about it I'm kind of puzzled as to why the vet would put her on Vanectyl P.....which is apparently an antihistimine and steroid (prednisone). Yes her ear is sore and itchy, but shouldn't the Surolan and oral antibiotics take care of that. I'm just concerned about the side effects of the Vanectyl P......though I'm sure my vet has his reasons and knows what he is doing.
    The antihistimine and the steroid may be for the allergies, not speficially for the ear problem. Just guessing.

I hope she is much better soon!
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    The antihistimine and the steroid may be for the allergies, not speficially for the ear problem. Just guessing.

I hope she is much better soon!
    Thanks. I think it was mainly prescribed for her ear to ease the itching, but he also mentioned that the Surolan would do that. In the past I've just used the a/b ear drops and I guess I'm just kind of surprised that he's put her on antibiotics and the antihistamine/prednisone as well. The one ear does look a mess though and perhaps worse than in the past. I'm still amazed that it appeared to get so much worse so quickly. I really do watch them closely, but a once or twice a week check is normally enough. I guess this was simmering deeper in the ear canal and for some reason really kicked in over night.

With regard to her licking/chewing her paws....we've never really been 100% sure it is allergies.....or at least not totally allergies. The first time she started doing it was when we had to leave her in the kennels for a few days. When we came back we noticed she'd been licking her paws and also had nipped a few small bits of fur off further up one of her legs. At the time I thought she must have rubbed it on something, but then later when it happened again I realized she was doing it herself. I think to some degree the licking etc. has become a habit (like a person who bites their nails). Touch wood she has never had any issues with any other area of her skin....with the exception of her yeasty ear thing. We do have to watch her anal glands, but not sure that that is an issue that has anything to do with allergies.

AZLAB is offline Senior Member

If she were mine I would switch her to a grain free food. We feed Nature's Variety Chicken Instinct.

Cinnamon use to have the yeasty ears and Cierra had to grass allergies. We switched foods and Cinnamon has not had any ear problems, Cierras is 90% better but being a hound she has those long floppy ears and if she gets them wet and we don't dry them she will get an ear infection. But what we had blamed as grass allergies cleared about 75% with the food change.

With us it was the grain especially corn that neither dog was tolerating well.
    Karon and Cinnamon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast