4:00 wake up call

Thread: 4:00 wake up call

hmhershey is offline Senior Member

Default4:00 wake up call

So Bentley thinks he needs up every mornig a 4:30 to eat breakfast... now on days that I work, it isn't to bad, but still to early. I keep thinking that maybe he needs to go to the bathroom, but won't even step outside, just stands by the door that houses his food. He won't even let me play with him. Is there a way to 'teach' him to sleep later? This morning I let him out to do his business, which he didn't and tried to see if he would go back to sleep. fail, so I just left the slider door slightly open and went back to bed. I don't know what to do. AHH

Bentley and his favorite toy. 2/5/11

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Moka is a 4 am girl.
    Java would sleep in....if Moka would let her.
    Nothing I have tried has worked.
    We have kept her up as late at 1 am to watch UFC fights......she's still up at 4 am.
    Even in winter, when it is still pitch black and freezing cold-she's up at 4 am, ready to go.
    She will not go back to bed. She's not ready for a nap until about 9 am.
    I have accepted it as the way it is going to be.
    You need to accept it too....lol

Great lol. When he slept in his crate it wasn't a problem. He could go till like 8 and sleep soundly the whole time. I might try running him right before bed.. because when he is super tired, we can't even wake him.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

Tank wants to eat at 5a.m. and it take me forever to get Bentley even to wake up. I would refuse to wake up and teach him nothing is going to wake you up
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

what time do you feed at night? Maybe (long shot here but..) a snack at night would help?

i am NOT a morning person. all my fosters have learned that we sleep in. Funny enough, most have been just excellent (granted I had to let 1 up on bed - one with me there she saw no problems with just taking it easy and sleeping in!). If you know he doesn't need to pee I would ignore him. If that isn't possible because the door to the room is open and he is uncrated...mmm..I turn around and roll into a ball so they can't get to me and go back to sleep! (seriously). It might be a few days (weeks) of pain in the butt but hopefully he learns that being a pest gets him no where.

OR, if you do get up, don't feed him. So he learns that feeding is when you want, not whe he wants.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

I've tried the roll over and ignore, he just lays on top of me... the little s**t he is, that makes it super hard to sleep lol

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I guess the thing is - the first few days of ignoring you probably WON'T be sleeping, but goal is for them to eventually learn that the behavior in question doesn't get them anywhere. Kinda like ignoring the barking - sure you are awake listening to them bark but if you ignore it - the hope is they will stop with time!
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

This is not a problem is our House. Hershey Kisses is perfectly happy to sleep in. However, I get up between 4:30 and 5:00 every day and my wife would like to know if ' Is there a way to 'teach' him to sleep later? '
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.