Should I Be Worried About My Breeder?
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I Be Worried About My Breeder?

Full House is offline Member

DefaultShould I Be Worried About My Breeder?

Hi - Hopefully I'm just being paranoid, but I am hoping for some opinions. As follows:

After a lot of thought we chose to get a Lab puppy through a breeder. Because of a recent bad experience with a dog that bit and snarled at our children (ages 6, 4 and 4), it felt important to go through a reputable breeder who is focused on temperament even though it was hard for me to give up on the idea of a rescue dog. It was a very hard choice but it felt like the right one when we made it. With kids this young I want to be careful about the dog we bring into our home.

We found a breeder who seems to breed beautiful dogs - most all of her dogs are placed with families with children, often as companion dogs to people with disabilities. They come from champion lines, the parents are beautiful. She shows her dogs. She certifies properly. She is well regarded as far as I can tell. Everything seemed to line up. I put down a deposit in February. The puppies were born in late April, and we are planning to pick up our boy in 2 weeks. We will have three males to choose from - we are first pick, unless the breeder picks a male to keep. She picks one pup out of each litter with show potential and won't choose until 7 weeks. She thinks she wants a girl. Anyway, the countdown has been endless!

Now I am worried that there are red flags I should be worrying about. The breeder is unresponsive to me. It took her 5 weeks to send pictures and it was only because I begged. The pictures were rushed and terrible - I can barely see the puppies. I have asked many times for updates on the puppies and asked that she begin to think about which pup might be best suited to our family. Days, or even weeks will go by with no reply. She says she is busy, and that nobody has ever asked her for updates before. I am becoming embarrassed to write her. Four days ago I told her about which characteristics were most important to us, and hoped for he guidance when it came time to choose, as she would know the puppies best. No reply as yet. I don't know what to do.

Is it unreasonable of me to want pictures and little progress reports? Maybe I am so excited about our puppy that I am asking too much if the breeder but it feels like she should be regularly communicating with me. I am starting to get a bad feeling from her. Am I being paranoid? Should I just assume everything is ok?

Thanks in advance for a little hand-holding.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

yellowmom is offline Senior Member

First of all, I am certainly no expert. But since our timeframes are similar, I thought I would tell you of our experiences with our breeder.

Our pup will be coming in home in just over a week. We have visited him twice, and she has said we can come as often as we like. Every email I send is answered within a few hours. We receive numerous emails each week with updated photos and silly stories of what the pups are up to. I know for a fact that she is very busy, but always makes time to answer any questions I might have. She is very into showing her labs, working, etc.

Your breeder might very well might be an excellent breeder, but I would probably start to be pretty concerned, too...what if you had questions after the pup comes home? I would let her know of your concerns, and maybe she would be more responsive. You have to be comfortable with her.

Chester & his mom (Noah and Marmie, forever in my heart)

Jems is offline Junior Member

She might be a wonderful breeder with great dogs, but I would be concerned. If you can't count on her now, what about when the puppy is home with you and you need her help and expert opinions? Emails do not take that long to answer and a few pictures are not a lot to ask. It would be a red flag for me.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

Have you signed a contract with this breeder already?
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

Yes! THis is what I think too! But does it matter in the end if I walk away with a wonderful puppy? We are so invested now, I don't know what to do. We could pull the plug, but then we are losing what would be, in all likelihood, a terrific dog. But then, one should be able to find a terrific dog from a terrific breeder who inspires confidence throughout the process. Meanwhile, my kids are counting down the days to our new puppy. This doesn't feel very good.

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

No matter how hard if it does not feel right walk away. Check out your local labrador club for breeders.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Can you call her?

Some breeders, especially the ones a little older aren't so keep on the email etc.

I wouldn't discount her yet. Have you visited the puppies? Maybe offer to help her take photos for the other owners?

I'd simply send what you typed up top to the breeder, or call her on the phone and discuss things.

Its a very busy time when a breeder has puppies, but don't let her ignore you.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Luvmydog2much View Post
    Can you call her?

Some breeders, especially the ones a little older aren't so keep on the email etc.

I wouldn't discount her yet. Have you visited the puppies? Maybe offer to help her take photos for the other owners?

I'd simply send what you typed up top to the breeder, or call her on the phone and discuss things.

Its a very busy time when a breeder has puppies, but don't let her ignore you.
    Agree with this.

I for one don't let anyone visit until the pups have had their shots. Then it's one visit. I'm too busy to allow people in and out of my house whenever they want to come. Plus, it's not safe for the puppies. I don't know where these people have been and I don't want someone bringing a disease into my home and wiping out my litter.

Some people can't take a decent picture to save their life. They might not have a camera that is good with movement, and trust me, puppies move around.....A LOT. Maybe the breeder works outside the home too and just doesn't have much free time.

As Melissa said, call them. Talk to them in a non-confrontational way. See what they say on the phone. Then if you still have concerns, walk away. Even if you've left a deposit, it's better to lose that then get involved with someone you can't trust or don't like.

Laura

Thank you. This last approach appeals to me - I can't just walk away without trying to get to the bottom of it - but honestly, I can't figure out what I would say. "Hi. I am wondering why you don't write or call me back? I had hoped for more communication regarding this litter and the choice of our new puppy. Give all we've been through, we need a higher degree of confidence in the process and responsiveness from you." That sounds confrontational to me. But I'll try it.

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

Don't put it on her. Tell her YOU are concerned and tell her your feelings. That is not confrontational.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast