Electric fences?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Electric fences?

Scout08 is offline Senior Member

DefaultElectric fences?

I have never liked the idea of shock collars, but I also do not know much about them. My parents are taking care of Chuck while I am away for the summer and they do not have a fenced in backyard. Chuck likes to run around outside and smell all the trees in the back of the yard. She doesn't like to be on her leash (we have one of those corkscrews in the ground with a long line). My parents were talking to my fiancee about getting an electric invisible fence and they want me to think about it. My big concern is that I don't like the idea of the shock hurting her. Could anyone provide me more information about them? I have done a little bit of research, but the information I found all seemed to be one sided.
    ETA- I have been gone since May 20th and will not get back until the second week of August. Caitlin (fiancee) has been walking Chuck for an hour and a half every morning and my dad takes her out at night. I miss my dog!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Alot of training goes into teaching the dog the perimeter prior to being able to leave them "just loose" so they (or you or fiance) would have to spend time on that.

I personally don't believe all dogs are going to do well with an invisible fence. I know some have great success and their dog never bolts, but I have known dogs that I would never EVER trust with just that no matter how much training they had (they were wanderers).

OT: is chuck officially your dog now?
    Last edited by Tanya; 06-02-2011 at 12:52 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

deidra is offline Senior Member

I do not like the electric fences they can hurt your dog enough to were they are just to scared to even go out in there own yard.
    i also agree with Tanya they do not always work. Someone that lived by the highway had and invisible fence and it kept his 2 dogs out but he got a puppy and that puppy got hit by a car and sadly did not make it. I say just spend a little bit of money and get a fence that would not shock her but keep her in the yard.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

I do not like them. Firstly, if there is a thunder storm the dog can be elctrocuted. Secondly, they do not keep other animals from entering the yard. And, I agree with the above posts.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

SharonaZamboni is offline Senior Member

There's also the possibility that the dog gets shocked while leaving the property, then doesn't want to go back in the yard because it'll get ANOTHER shock. Other animals can get in the yard and harass your dog, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    Alot of training goes into teaching the dog the perimeter prior to being able to leave them "just loose" so they (or you or fiance) would have to spend time on that.

I personally don't believe all dogs are going to do well with an invisible fence. I know some have great success and their dog never bolts, but I have known dogs that I would never EVER trust with just that no matter how much training they had (they were wanderers).

OT: is chuck officially your dog now?
    Chuck is officially mine and Caitlin's first dog together. She would never get left out on her own and Caitlin could spend time with her, my concern is that I do not want to hurt Chuck or make her afraid of going outside. My parents don't live in a neighborhood where chain fences are used (the neighbors view them as a low class thing to use) and having a wooden fence put up is too expensive, so our options are either to leave her on the line when she goes outside and she can't run around, or get the electric fence and she would get to run, but not into the neighbor's yards the way she has been.

Quote Originally Posted by SharonaZamboni View Post
    There's also the possibility that the dog gets shocked while leaving the property, then doesn't want to go back in the yard because it'll get ANOTHER shock. Other animals can get in the yard and harass your dog, etc.
    This was also a concern of mine, but my parents said that there is a fence that only shocks for a certain amount of time and then stops, so she would be able to get back in the yard. The comment about the thunderstorms actually scares me more.

deidra is offline Senior Member

Who cares what the neighbors say. it is your dogs life over a opinion by some neighbors. What if Chuck were to not listen to Caitlin or your dad? and also they have those very long, long lines she can run safely on. We take Bentley down to our ball field and let him run off his energy since there si a fence around it and always new smells.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scout08 View Post
    This was also a concern of mine, but my parents said that there is a fence that only shocks for a certain amount of time and then stops, so she would be able to get back in the yard. The comment about the thunderstorms actually scares me more.
    The thing is some dogs will not want to venture back into the yard after being shocked on the way out. All they know is that SPOT is wehre the shock was, so they will not go there again.

You know Scout best, to know if she would do ok with this training. The goal is to avoid trhe shocks altogether anyway, if she is the type of dog that will be testing the boundaries and getting shocked over and over again then this isn't the best solution for her.

I sometimes use a long line with my fosters. This way they can run around and we can play fetch (if they like the game sometimes I can let the long line drag abit as long as I am near enough and aware of anything that could make the dog bolt). I had one dog that this simply did not work as she was crazy and kept lunging at the end of the line (over and over adn over again) causing pain to both of us - so I stopped. But MOST dogs I did this with were great.

An invisible fence is still a big monetary investiment, they are not cheap.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

SharonaZamboni is offline Senior Member

The reward for leaving (chasing a squirrel, etc.) is greater than the punishment for leaving- a shock. Where's the reward for returning to the yard?
    And some dogs just don't mind a little jolt.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast