Taste of the Wild Question
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Taste of the Wild Question

pbc
    pbc is offline Senior Member

DefaultTaste of the Wild Question UPDATE

I opened two five pound bags of ToTW this morning. One bag is Pacific Stream Smoked Salmon the other Wetlands Canine Formula with roasted Fowl.

I have been combining the two formulas for about a year and a half. There has always been a distinct smell and color difference between the bags. This morning when I poured from both bags I noticed no color difference or smell between the packages. Kibble definitely smells and looks the same out of both bags. I don't think the correct formula is in the salmon bag. No formula changes that I am aware of. Will call the company when they open. Their website says it could take five days for a reply. Anyone else use/have a similar problem with this food?

Unfortunately, the last two bags are consumed. Not a single piece of kibble left from either one.

Update I was able to talk to her breeder this morning. She feeds the same food and said there has been a formula change. She thinks across the board with their protein levels. She also said that the salmon lately has been dark than light than dark. Bad thing is we have had difficulty keeping weight on Romy since Marshal died. She has lost six pounds. This is a dog that only weighed 35 lbs to begin with so not good. The last thing I want to do right now is to have food issues.
    Last edited by pbc; 06-02-2011 at 08:53 AM.
    Guest poster - original forum July 2001. Member 2002. nbsc

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

Have you looked at the batch numbers on both bags Pat? IF they're both the same, it would prove one of them has the wrong packaging.

javasmom is offline Senior Member

You could always go back to the store and ask for samples...or take both bags back to the store and exchange them. Most stores will exchange opened bags for new bags if you're having an issue with the food.
    We started having an issue with TOTW High Prairie a couple of months ago..I ended up exchanging bags 6 times before I finally just dropped the food.
    TOTW Pacific Stream is still in the rotation though....although I did notice that it is much darker than the last bag I had.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

pbc
    pbc is offline Senior Member

Lot numbers are different Garth.
    Guest poster - original forum July 2001. Member 2002. nbsc

Garth is offline Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by pbc View Post
    Lot numbers are different Garth.
    There goes that bright idea!

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

I heard there was a change in formula from one of my customers. They wanted to switch foods because of it.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

Retriever Mama is offline Senior Member

Sorry to hear this...we had heard good things about TOTW. We feed Nature's Variety Prairie with the rotation diet, but you never know if you need to switch your food and TOTW had been a contender. Now? I guess not. Hope you get a better batch.
    Melissa, Remy & Brooklyn

Yelloweyz is offline Senior Member

We had used TOTW but switched to Earthborn Holistics because the kibble was smaller for my older fella. They have the same variety flavors as TOTW and we've been happy with the switch (in case you need another option), the run close to the same price also, as well as being grain free.

Mom to Indy 6/12/98 to 11/16/11 (always in my heart), and Jobe 8-14-2000 to 6/24/2013 (Working TDI) English Labs, and Annie our Golden Retriever (TDI), and Kodiak (who will one day hopefully be a TDI dog if he doesn't kill me first).

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by pbc View Post

Update I was able to talk to her breeder this morning. She feeds the same food and said there has been a formula change. She thinks across the board with their protein levels. She also said that the salmon lately has been dark than light than dark. Bad thing is we have had difficulty keeping weight on Romy since Marshal died. She has lost six pounds. This is a dog that only weighed 35 lbs to begin with so not good. The last thing I want to do right now is to have food issues.
    That would probably explain the HORRIBLE problems we were having with the High Prairie. Both girls...at the same time. Can't be a coincidence.
    So far no problems with the PS, but I did notice the change in color.
    I've started rotating 2 new brands so the TOTW may have to go....which stinks because the girls were doing really, really well on it and I loved the price ($34.99/30 lbs).

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

I've had Sammi on TOTW PS for quite awhile now and have had no problems. Just bought a new bag last week and did notice the color change in the kibble. She still loves it, no scratching, coat looks great, ears are clean and poops are normal. So I'm not messing with something that isn't broken. Hope you get the food worked out, seems like food issues can be so complex with our pups.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast