Spinoff of comment to Dweck about Black vs yellow lab in the sun.

Thread: Spinoff of comment to Dweck about Black vs yellow lab in the sun.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultSpinoff of comment to Dweck about Black vs yellow lab in the sun.

First for clarification and avoidance of misunderstanding. Hershey Kisses is never left outside alone and neither was my son's Yellow Lab, Newman.

In addition to finding the comment dumb, (Good thing you got a yellow and not a black. Can't leave a Black out in the son because they get too hot, but Yellows don't), it reminded me of an incident out on our deck.

We were sitting on the deck talking, the two dogs were with us, laying in the middle of the deck. I decided to get down in between the two of them to pet them at the same time. It was unbelieveable how much hotter HersheyK was relative to Newman. Hershey was unbelievably hot. Uncomfortable to touch. But Newman was just a bit more than warm. They had been laying there the same amount of time. I solved the problem by filling the kiddie pool for both of them to lay in, which they were both very happy to do.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Yep it's true darker colors hold heat. My next car will be white or silver or birch...I am tired of sweating until the air conditioner catches up.

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by HersheyK's Dad View Post
    We were sitting on the deck talking, the two dogs were with us, laying in the middle of the deck. I decided to get down in between the two of them to pet them at the same time. It was unbelieveable how much hotter HersheyK was relative to Newman. Hershey was unbelievably hot. Uncomfortable to touch.
    At least they were laying on the deck, I have a chocolate, whose favorite place to lay in the dead heat of summer.... the middle of the black asphalt driveway.

I don't know how she does it! I never leave her out there long or on very hot days (like today with 90+ degrees & humidity). I just don't get how that can be at all comfortable.

I've put the baby pool out for her, but all she does is dig & splash. She will NOT lay down in the pool.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dweck is offline Senior Member

Wesley just melted in the heat. Like a puddle of motor oil in the middle of the sidewalk.

In the winter, however, he never even had the decency to even LOOK chilly! It'd be 4-below 0 and snowing like hell and he'd be bounding along: "C'mon dad!! What's keeping you???"

Kelrobin Cleveland Street Denizen, CGC, RN [Parker]

"Dear George: Remember, no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings. Love, Clarence" -- IAWL Screenplay (1946)

Yelloweyz is offline Senior Member

The yellows are always cooler than my dark chocolate chunk. He's not even smart enough to lay in the shade to cool off either.

Mom to Indy 6/12/98 to 11/16/11 (always in my heart), and Jobe 8-14-2000 to 6/24/2013 (Working TDI) English Labs, and Annie our Golden Retriever (TDI), and Kodiak (who will one day hopefully be a TDI dog if he doesn't kill me first).

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Well, having two yellows with two different coats, you also have to bear that in mind. Yeller couldn't tolerate the heat or full sun like Abby, who is our shorter coat. Abby likes to sun herself like a little California beach bunny. Yellie had to sit in the shade, or she'd overheat. Our Helo is the same as Yeller - maybe a little worse, because his coat is so much thicker.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yelloweyz View Post
    He's not even smart enough to lay in the shade to cool off either.
    I will give Lexi that, she's wised up & moves when she gets too hot. I've found her either in the shade of the azelea bush having dug a gully into the mulch or inside the carport.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

Cheley is offline Senior Member

My girls are never left outside alone in the sun either, but I do walk them daily and often we end up sitting and talking with my parents or my grandmother. Last week I had my black girl, Sophie, with me and we ended up talking for quite a while. Sophie was just lying there, and when I went to pet her ears, they were so so hot! Unfortunately, she hates water so trying to hose her down to cool her off was pretty much not an option (she hides behind me when I get the hose). She did get a drink and was ready to continue walking - she didn't seem to think it was an issue at all!

I had my yellow girl, Kendall out for a walk a bit later, for about the same amount of time, and she was just a little warm to the touch. Not hot like Sophie was.

~Cheley, Kendall, Sophie, and Willow