Growing up

Thread: Growing up

rpost7786 is offline Senior Member

DefaultGrowing up

As puppies grow up I know their personalities change and they become more adventerous. When we first got Avery he wouldn't leave my side... followed me everywhere and slept on my lap or right next to me. Over the last couple months I've noticed his change. He likes to wonder off more now, sleep in different places (tile floor now b/c it's hot) and he's not as snuggly. He still does snuggle but not as much as when he was a puppy puppy. He's 7 months now and getting bigger by the minute and always running around. Is that normal or is he going through teenager stage where they just dont want to be around their "uncool mom" LOL That's what Keith thinks... I just think he's getting older and searching for new things, and doesn't need to feel protected as much. I miss the days he'd sit on my lap and watch tv with me, or kiss my face endlessly.
    BTW He's as healthy as can be... I don't think this is a healthy issue.
    Rachel, Keith, Scarlett & Avery = One happy little Family

"A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A water log stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if your rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he'll give you his. How many people can you say that about? How many people can make you feel rare and pure and special? How many people can make you feel extraordinary?"- John Grogan

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BlackLabbie is offline Senior Member

I think it's normal, as I've seen it happen. They do seem to go through a "teenage" phase (including ignoring, being obnoxious, being loud, etc, LOL!).
    -Stephanie
    "Apollo", CGC- black Labrador Retriever
    "Molson"- buff American Cocker Spaniel
    "Patty"- black American Cocker Spaniel
    "Pepper" Najaco's Northeast Storm- black Labrador Retriever 5/11/92-9/18/05

http://blacklabbie.blogspot.com/

He seems to be imitating other dogs lately.... We've been bringing him to doggie day care and he's become boisterious. He gets "report cards" at camp and they say he's shy at first then once comfortable he wrestles with his friends and joins in on the chatter LOL He give other dogs kisses too hahahhaha instead of sniffing butts he goes up to their faces sniffs and then licks them. I think it's adorable

"A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A water log stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if your rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he'll give you his. How many people can you say that about? How many people can make you feel rare and pure and special? How many people can make you feel extraordinary?"- John Grogan

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

Bentley is going through that stage he used to look back adn make sure i was still there on the trails now he just runs all the way to the pond and is swimming before em adn Tank get there, While Tank (6 years) is always right there. he has always been liek that. If he can not see you he whines and whines for a while. So maybe in a couple years he will be more snuggly. Before I sit down tank is on the couch ready to be petted while Bentley si bringing me his ball and his new trick which is bringing my shoes to go outside.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

SharonaZamboni is offline Senior Member

Bean has recently taken his independence a little too far, and now I think he's unhappy because he has to be leashed all the time. But he wasn't a real cuddly puppy, anyway.

Blondiega1 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rpost7786 View Post
    As puppies grow up I know their personalities change and they become more adventerous. When we first got Avery he wouldn't leave my side... followed me everywhere and slept on my lap or right next to me. Over the last couple months I've noticed his change. He likes to wonder off more now, sleep in different places (tile floor now b/c it's hot) and he's not as snuggly. He still does snuggle but not as much as when he was a puppy puppy. He's 7 months now and getting bigger by the minute and always running around. Is that normal or is he going through teenager stage where they just dont want to be around their "uncool mom" LOL That's what Keith thinks... I just think he's getting older and searching for new things, and doesn't need to feel protected as much. I miss the days he'd sit on my lap and watch tv with me, or kiss my face endlessly.
    BTW He's as healthy as can be... I don't think this is a healthy issue.
    My Coco is 7 mths old and doing the exact same thing.
    I've seen a lot of post where it seems they go through a "teen" phase at this age.
    I keep telling myself that she will be my lap baby again someday.
    It's a tough life.....but someone has to do it.
    Daisy and Coco sunbathing.

He also ALWAYS wants to be outside.... He whines and barks. I'll take him out for an hour walk and play in the backyard and then it's too hot and he's panting so I'll bring him in the A/C and he'll drink water then sit at the top of the stairs barking again like "Hey mom... let's go back outside!!!!" Then I'll take him back out and he just lay's in the shade. LOL I put him on the 40' wire lead we got and I lay on a blanket outside with him.

He has to always be on a leash or tied out b/c he runs away to say hi to a neighbor or sniff their back yard. shaking my head... We're both learning.

Blondiega1 is offline Senior Member

Coco is the same.
    She LOVES to be outside.
    Fortunately we live in the middle of 80 acres with a 5 acre lake, so there's plenty of room for her to "get her lab on".
    It's a tough life.....but someone has to do it.
    Daisy and Coco sunbathing.