Doggie health insurance?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doggie health insurance?

BlkLabLuv is offline Member

DefaultDoggie health insurance?

I have two black girls and I DO NOT have any health insurance on either. Now one of my girls needs TPLO surgery and Iím saving up to pay for it. I was curious if anyone has a doggie health plan andÖ.

1. How much is YOUR premium?
    2. Has it been a good investment for YOU (has it paid for itself)?
    3. Would a TPLO procedure be covered under YOUR plan?
    4. What has it helped with?

What do you guys think? Should I have or should I now get some coverage?

Maggie Mae and Sara Ann

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

We do not have insurance coverage, but we allocate a set amount monthly for doggie emergencies. The nice thing is that we have the money if we ever need it *knock on wood*, and we still have the money if we don't need it. I'm sure there are differences from company to company, but I have a friend that has insurance for her dog and it has never covered anything. I would check them out very closely to be sure you get the best value for you money, but IMO a savings account is better.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

javasmom is offline Senior Member

We have insurance for both girls. We did not sign up for it until after Moka broke her leg (which would have been covered). Java had 2 TPLOs, which were not covered because the 6 month waiting period after signing up for insurance had not passed yet....she tore BOTH ACLs at the same time, 4 days after signing up for insurance.
    I pay $228/ year for each girl.
    The insurance covers genetic issues (ED, HD, etc.) cancer and emergencies, as well as illnesses. It does not cover annual visits or vaccinations.
    So far we have not had to use it for anything major.
    In the future I will get pet insurance immediately after I bring my pups home. Had I done that with my girls, I would be $15,000 richer right now.

Good luck with the TPLO...Java had 2 of them, back to back last year and she's perfect now!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BlkLabLuv is offline Member

Thanks javasmom your replies are always so kind and thorough. Thatís a great premium rate. So, under your plan a TPLO would have been covered? Would you mind if I asked what company that is? Iím sure rates vary but sounds like that would be a good place to start looking at.

Anyone else? Iíd like to hear both sides. Anyone ever have something denied by an insurer? Or anyone who had them pay for a cancer procedure or other emergency?

Bauersmom, your friend, did they get denied something or just have not had to use it yet?

Maggie Mae and Sara Ann

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

Look at Pet Plan. They were the best I found. What is covered depends on how your vet records the visit. For instance with many companies: My dog was running through the field at at field trial, or while training, or while hunting and blew out a knee is NOT covered. However, "My dog was running through the field and blew out a knee" is covered. Hint Hint. I have spent a lot of time comparing coverages for my next dog, after a heart issue surfaced with EMD.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

nikkiluvsu15 is offline Senior Member

I have Healthy Paws for Harleigh and while I haven't had to use it (thank goodness!), they have awesome customer service so thats always a plus :P It covers the treatment of any illness, injury or accident and also covers hereditary and congenital conditions (HD, cancer, etc.). It doesn't cover the pre-existing conditions, vet exam fee, spay/neuter or preventative care (flea medicine, heartworm medicine, etc).

While it does cover HD, there is a 12-month waiting period for that to kick in. Everything else is covered in 15 days.

I pay $29.81 each month for Harleigh's plan. Which is 90% reimbursement and a $100 annual deductible (this annual deductible confused me at first, so if you want the email they sent to me, I'll post it lol).

Being a broke college student, getting pet insurance seemed like the most responsible thing for ME to do for Harleigh. I can't always say I'd be putting money into a savings account, but I'll always make my payments on time.
    Nothing is so strong as gentleness, and nothing is so gentle as real strength. - Ralph W Sockman

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

I have Embrace. It will cover TPLO after the 6 month wait period but you can get that waived with an exam by a vet. It allows you to pick the deductible and the percent. We went for 80% reimbursement and a $500 deductible and our premiums are $36/month for two dogs. Ours doesn't cover dispensed medications or vaccinations but you can get a plan that does. We also didn't get dental and that's an option too. The first year we had it we went over the deductible and got a quick check. We didn't have any surprises over what was covered and what wasn't. We're happy so far.

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlkLabLuv View Post
    Thanks javasmom your replies are always so kind and thorough. Thatís a great premium rate. So, under your plan a TPLO would have been covered? Would you mind if I asked what company that is? Iím sure rates vary but sounds like that would be a good place to start looking at.

Anyone else? Iíd like to hear both sides. Anyone ever have something denied by an insurer? Or anyone who had them pay for a cancer procedure or other emergency?

Bauersmom, your friend, did they get denied something or just have not had to use it yet?
    We have Petplan.
    Yes, TPLO would have been covered-either after a 6onth waiting period OR after getting a healthy knee certificate from a vet. Unfortunately, I signed up for insurance on a Friday, it kicked it on Saturday and Java tore her knees on Tuesday..so I didn't have time to get her to the vet for the cert. The exclusions are different depending on which state you live in..in MA it is 6 months or a health cert, in other states it's only a 2 week waiting period, in still other states there is no wait and the knees are covered immediately.

I opted for the Bronze Plan, which covers 80/20 (they pay 80%, we pay 20%) and a $200 deductible.
    There is no waiting period for HD or ED, as long as it was not previously diagnosed, which would make it pre-existing. Thankfully, Java was not diagnosed with ED until after we signed up...so we're good there.
    It would have covered Moka's accident-we would have only had to pay something like $850 instead of the $5000 we had to pay.

Because I have already been through 1 accident and 2 TPLOs with my girls, I think it's worth it to have. $228 a year for one dog is well worth the peace of mind...just in case. Believe m e, we have already been through 1 freak accident, so it can happen. Insurance offers a certain level of protection and reassuance.

BTW-I got Moka's knee cert immediately after Java was diagnosed with the ACL tears...so her knees are 100% covered.

oona is offline Junior Member

Hi - My name is Oona and I work with Healthy Paws Pet Insurance. The one that covers nikkiluvsu15 and Harleigh (above). I just wanted to jump in really quickly to thank nikkiluvsu15 for her kind comments about our coverage and clarify something as well.

Thanks, Nicole. I hope you're enjoying our customer care to-date. I saw that our CEO actually answered a question you emailed us about annual deductibles last month. Hope that helped - and please always feel free to ask any others. We really care about being there for our pet parents.

A couple other folks here have noted that there's a six month waiting period for TPLO issues with other companies. At Healthy Paws, as long as the TPLO surgery is not associated with a pre-existing condition and the injury has occurred after the 15-day waiting period, we will cover the diagnostics and treatments prescribed by your veterinarian. We also cover any hereditary and congenital conditions (as long as it's not pre-existing to signing up with us).

Finally, I just wanted to respond to the comment by BauersMom. I totally hear you - and hear this comment a lot. If you can set aside enough money and have emergency funds, I believe that that's a great way to pay for significant, unexpected vet bills. However, I have a close friend, Lacy, who I think is a great example of some who could've really used some pet insurance a couple years ago. She adopted her furball from the Seattle Humane Society at a couple months old, and he was hit on the 522 freeway at ten months old. His pelvis was shattered. Lacy ended up using a lot of her life savings/current paychecks to pay for over $7,000 in surgery, medication, and physical therapy bills. If she'd had good pet insurance she could've gotten up to 90% of that cost back - and as a new pet parent, I think that it would've been really difficult to save over $6,000 in under eight months. Fortunately, Roscoe is a super happy, healthy pup now who chases Lacy on her mountain bike through Pacific Northwest trails. Roscoe is now protected by Healthy Paws, because Lacy likes the peace of mind and protection she'll get for the rest of his life.

Just do your research, and make sure whichever pet insurance company you choose reimburses based on your actual vet bill and covers congenital and hereditary expenses (they often involve expensive surgeries). If you have any questions, and want to get no pressure answers, feel free to drop us a line at 800-453-4054.
    Last edited by oona; 06-13-2011 at 03:39 PM.

SharonaZamboni is offline Senior Member

Thanks, javasmom. I just enrolled Bean in Pet Plan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast