Will he grow any more?

Thread: Will he grow any more?

swanny320 is offline Member

DefaultWill he grow any more?

Hi, I have an 8 month old yellow lab. He is about 60 pounds right now and gorgeous. My question is this: Will he continue to grow any more? To me, he seems shorter and smaller than most labs but I don't know if it's because he is still a puppy. Does he still have more growing to do? His parents were about 75lbs each. I'm just more curious than anything else.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

He will continue to fill out. My Nellie was 88 pounds when I got her at 8 months. She is now about 100, long and lean.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

maloneandme is offline Senior Member

funny that you are asking this - my lab is roughly 58 lbs ... and he's a YEAR old. He basically hasn't gained any weight since about 8 months. Just stopped. Mom was 62 lbs and Dad was 85 lbs. I LOVE him at the size but I am curious if he'll get bigger. I suspect he will get a teeny bit taller and maybe gain 5 more lbs. crazy eh?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

Koivu has grown (length/height) and filled out since he was 8 months. I had his shoulder xrayed a couple weeks ago and growth plates were still open - I don't think they really completely finish growing until 18 months - 2 years, but the rate definitely slows down. It'll be interesting to see what yours does

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dek View Post
    Koivu has grown (length/height) and filled out since he was 8 months. I had his shoulder xrayed a couple weeks ago and growth plates were still open - I don't think they really completely finish growing until 18 months - 2 years, but the rate definitely slows down. It'll be interesting to see what yours does
    yes, Zoe stopped at about 18 months.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Both of my boys grew height wise up until about a year. Filled out until about 2.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Tanya is offline Senior Member

general rule is they grow in height until about 1 year (or less) then fill out for a year or more after that. The best person to help you with that question is the breeder, IF they know their lines (in which case tehy can tell you how their pups usually grow)

Remember that labs are the most popular breed. They are being bred by all types of "breeders" and many do not follow the standard when deciding which dog to breed. So this means you get alot of "different" looking labs, from short to tall, from slim to wide. So it isn't always easy to compare your lab to those you see out there.

Labs as per the standard are not super tall:
    Breed Standard - The Labrador Retriever Club, Inc.

Size - The height at the withers for a dog is 22-1/2 to 24-1/2 inches; for a bitch is 21-1/2 to 23-1/2 inches. Any variance greater than 1/2 inch above or below these heights is a disqualification. Approximate weight of dogs and bitches in working condition: dogs 65 to 80 pounds; bitches 55 to 70 pounds. The minimum height ranges set forth in the paragraph above shall not apply to dogs or bitches under twelve months of age.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky