Aspen is Limping

Thread: Aspen is Limping

mandaz000 is offline Senior Member

DefaultAspen is Limping

My baby girl turned 1 on Sunday and yesterday evening, I'm not really sure what happened I noticed she was limping a little. I checked out her paw. Moved her joints, put pressure on her paw, looked for anything stuck in her paw, and checked the nails. None of this seems to cause her discomfort.

Throughout the evening she would go between walking fine to limping. Every once in awhile when she was walking fine she would yelp and start limping again. At one point she yelped and wouldn't put pressure on the leg and then just started limping again, but eventually would be walking fine again. I'm assuming it's a sprain, does this seem accurate. She was slightly limping this morning but it doesn't seem to stop her for pouncing on the bugs she see's outside. From what I read I don't see that I should be rushing her to the vet just yet, but I was curious on everyone's opinion. I know you are not a vet but a lot of you have experienced a limping dog. What was the cause and how long did it last. Also did it heal without vet care?

Amanda

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

My guess would be a sprain.

Happy 1st bday Aspen!!

deidra is offline Senior Member

Tank limped a little last year and he had just exercised to much adn had a small sprain. The vet said bed rest for a week adn he was fine after that. Also with this weather we have been having she could of burn't some of her pad. That happened to one of my grandpas dogs one year and he had to put some kind of ointment on it.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

maloneandme is offline Senior Member

happy first birthday ASPEN! You are a sweetie!
    Yeah, could be a sprain, no clue... maybe give it another day and then vet???

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

Mine did something similar and I took him in just to be sure. Vet said it was a sprain, gave him some anti-inflammatories and reduced activity for 10-14 days to give it time to heal.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

First of all, it would definately help to know which leg was causing the problem.

I would rest the dog (seriously REST the dog, no playing, leashed trips for potty) for a few days, even up to a week. IF the dog is still showing signs, I would go to the vet to rule out the usual suspects. ED if the problem is with the front, cruciate ligaments for the rear.

This is about the age ED can show it's ugly head. I tend to expect the worst, and have the vet LOOK for that specifically.

I would love to not be pessimistic about injuries and limping, but with our dogs, it's always proved to be the worst case. And I have had good vets that have been very capable, not diagnose cruciate issues correctly. So that's why I personally would go in and say the dog is limping, please RULE OUT elbow dysplasia and/a torn cruciate ligament vs. having them try to guess what's wrong.

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Which leg is it? Front or rear?
    I wouldn't assume anything....when Java tore both ACLs she was barely limping on one and not limping at all on the other leg.
    I agree with the above-SERIOUS restriction and rest. No running, playing, jumping (on/off furniture)-just STRICT rest for a week.
    If it's not better in a week or gets worse, off to the vets...
    Java has both things going on-ED as well as tearing both ACLs in her knees, so I have experience with both, unfortunately. Java did not show any signs of ED until she tore both ACLs and shifted her weight off her rear legs onto her front. She was 13 months old.....her ED is very mild and the limping on her front legs stopped once her knees were repaired.

Err on the side of caution-rest, rest, rest....then off to the vets you go!!!
    If there is an injury that is more of a sprain and it's not addressed you're risking some serious arthritis with Aspen at a very young age.

mandaz000 is offline Senior Member

It's her front right let, yet when I went home for lunch there was no more limping or signs of pain. I'm going to make sure she rests and watch to make sure it doesn't start again. Thanks for the responses.

Amanda

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

STILL rest for the week. Labs have a very high pain tolerance and they can run play jump climb and never show that they hurt. Then they get up from resting and limp until they work through the pain. A dog with an elbow issue CAN and WILL have good days where you are reconsidering that anything is possibly wrong. So take the time now to rest, and then re-evaluate in a week. Hopefully it's just a strain, but the worst would be thinking it's nothing, allowing the dog to be crazy and then finding out you made something serious worse.