CNM Test Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CNM Test Results

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

DefaultCNM Test Results

My friend, had his 2 dogs tested for CNM and EIC at a discount DNA testing center. He got back his results and his one dog came back as a CNM clear. All would have been fine but...the breeder had also tested the dog for CNM before he sold him and he came back as a Carrier from the Alfort lab in France (They are the ones that identified the gene and developed the test). So he calls up the discount lab and tells them of the mistake. 24 hours later they call back and explain that the test was performed correctly but they had switched the results with his and another dog. So now they have to call the other dogs owner and tell them that their dog is not a carrier but is in fact clear.
    Of course now my friend is wondering about the other 3 results and is probably going to have Minnisota Universite do the EIC and Alfort do the other dogs CNM test.

Probably just a fluke event but it does make you wonder....
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    HR Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami SH "Wave" born 3-9-2010
    Greenwoods Amber Wave VCD2 RA SH AX OF WCX CGC "Amber" born 4-13-2005
    Chino Ca

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

It does make you wonder.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

labby is offline Senior Member

What "discount DNA center" did the tests?

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

It would help to know who they used to do the test. I would most certainly NEVER use InGen...too many stories of problems.

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

It was one that charged $58 for a first test then $20 for each additional test. Don't remember the name right now.
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    HR Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami SH "Wave" born 3-9-2010
    Greenwoods Amber Wave VCD2 RA SH AX OF WCX CGC "Amber" born 4-13-2005
    Chino Ca

Quote Originally Posted by Amber The Duck Dawg View Post
    It was one that charged $58 for a first test then $20 for each additional test. Don't remember the name right now.
    Well that doesn't help much.

Laura

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

The pricing structure "sounds" like VetDNACenter.com, although I do not know if that was the lab in question. I know of 1 other "false" result when someone did not use Alfort. I suppose any lab can make a mistake, but I would always use Alfort for CNM and the U of Minn for EIC.

Here is quote from Marilyn Fender, from the RTF forum, offered for what it is worth:

Related to this, The Alfort School of Veterinary Medicine is the only official laboratory globally for testing CNM. The research team at Alfort headed by Dr. Laurent Tiret, identified the CNM mutation and developed the specific procedure for searching a canine’s cell to find if the mutation is present. While the genome location and name of the mutation that causes CNM has been published internationally, the specifics unique to the step by step procedures and precautions to identify clear, carrier, and affected status have not been fully published. No other laboratories have been given the full details on testing procedures and the important reliability measures. Therefore, it is much too easy for other locations, in all countries, to make errors.

The most common error by others is to identify a carrier as clear. We are currently helping several breeders that were provided bad information from testing done at “for profit”, discount, and unapproved locations. Sadly the mistakes do not show up immediately but are found in tragic litters a generation or more later. It is always best to test with the research scientists who originally identified the mutation that causes a given disease, no matter what the disease is. The original researchers know the most about the disease and how to reliably test for the disease. They also actively work on the disease and its mechanisms that will help find relevant therapeutic strategies in the future.

If you have questions, please contact me directly at [email protected] as I do not look at PMs often and only check RTF a couple times a week.

Happy Retrieving,

Marilyn

Marilyn J Fender, PhD
    Global Communications Coordinator, CNM Project
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

It does sound like the DDC pricing. I don't know much about the CNM test but I would certainly LOVE the EIC test to be wrong on my male.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvBrown View Post
    It does sound like the DDC pricing. I don't know much about the CNM test but I would certainly LOVE the EIC test to be wrong on my male.
    Why? Is he affected?

Laura

Yes, he is. Really not a big deal for a pet, but he did have one episode so we are now always careful about what situations we put him in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast