Anyone have this experience?

Thread: Anyone have this experience?

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

QuestionAnyone have this experience?

Rush is 8, Boo is 5. They have always enjoyed playing fetch, Boo being the BIG fetch queen almost to the point of being a ball hog. Rush enjoys it, but to her it's just a game. Since it has warmed up, Rush has been pulling this catch a few (4-5) and then she's done. I told her that it's ok if she doesn't want to play but Boo isn't done. So I have been putting Rush back in the house, and finish playing with Boo. I then let Rush out to carry the ball in (it's her privilege to do so) and everyone is happy. I think. My questions is has anyone else had their dogs do this, loose interest in the game of fetch? I know she's 8 and is slowing down, she doesn't have any injuries, or pain she just acts bored with it after a couple of throws. Should I just chalk it up to her aging?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

tank is the same way same with the English Setter puppy I am Dog sitting right now. Bentley is like Boo and never really wants to stop. The other day he brought me my shoe and dropped them at my feet as to say " when are we going to play fetch?" i never taught him that he just has a very high drive. tank has a low drive so he just sleeps all day unless we are out walking.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Yelloweyz is offline Senior Member

Both Annie and Jobe are like that (fetching is beneath Mr. Indy). They go after it a few times and then they are done (although Annie will continue to play with it on her own for a bit, she doesnt want you to take it from her). I just put it to their quirkiness.

Mom to Indy 6/12/98 to 11/16/11 (always in my heart), and Jobe 8-14-2000 to 6/24/2013 (Working TDI) English Labs, and Annie our Golden Retriever (TDI), and Kodiak (who will one day hopefully be a TDI dog if he doesn't kill me first).

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AZLAB is offline Senior Member

Cinnamon has always lived up to the name retriever. Since the first time the light bulb went on in her 3 month old puppy mind that if she brought it back and gave it to me I would throw it again she will bring everything from balls, to toys to pieces of paper if she thinks you will throw it.

She will be 7 in Novemember and I have just noticed she is ready to stop after 5 or 10 minutes instead of her usual 15 to 20 if we wanted to tire her out. So I think it is normal that they slow down.
    Karon and Cinnamon

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Maybe it's too hot for her. Since the hot weather started, mine would rather be inside with AC.

patm is offline Senior Member

What I found was that each of my dogs loved fetching, although none of them was crazy nuts over it like some dogs are. But when I would get a pup, the older dog would basically stop , because they didn't want to compete with the faster,younger dog. Emilu LOVED water retrieving , but she won't compete with Baxter, because he is faster, and even if she does get it first, he will grab it from her. I now put him in the kennel for a little while and let Emilu retreive without the competition- it makes her very happy.

Samson is offline Senior Member

Nothing to do with ageing IMO.

Some dogs don't relish the competition.

My friend Murphy is a balloholic but Dylan and Jasper only want the ball if it deprives Murphy.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Rocky is NOT a fetcher. He didn't fetch at all at first (got him at 18mts). He then started to fech abit (max of 10 or so throws) but is picky about when he will want to and the ball he will fetch. he prefers to fetch then chew it, then roll on it.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

Rush has always enjoyed playing ball, jumping up and down, barking (like throw it, throw it) then she would run after it. Boo is a ball hog so we always make sure Rush gets her fair share thrown just for her.
    Still, after catching a few, it's like ok mom, enough. I told her it's ok to only want to catch a few, she can graze or whatever while Boo finishes the game.