Treats..treats...which ones do you use that are low calorie
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Treats..treats...which ones do you use that are low calorie

hunterchrome is offline Senior Member

DefaultTreats..treats...which ones do you use that are low calorie

Like most dogs, our labs our treat lovers. As they have gotten older they get a lot less. They love carrots, bananas and apples which we give them as a treat. We use small training treats lately to teach them to focus on their walk. We do feed them grain free treats and try to get them healthy treats the best we can. I just got told by the vet that Chrome is a bit overweight. The vet said its from his treats and he said to cut down. We do give them normal tasty treats when they go in their kennels. Chrome is very active and always has been.

So my question for you all: what kind of treats do you feed your dog? I am thinking part of Chrome's weight is from winter when the weather was freezing and we couldn't spend much time outdoors
    Hunter & Chrome

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

I found some chicken breast 'jerky' that has no additives, and the boys go nuts over it. No fat, either. Other than that, they get fruit and veggies, and grain-free treats.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

labby is offline Senior Member

My dogs don't get treats. They're dogs. They walk when I tell them to walk. They go into their crates when I tell them to.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Henery&Ollie's mom is offline Senior Member

I make garlicky chicken jerky and liver treats for my boyz. They will occasionally get store-bought grain-free cookies, but not too often.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Since not all of us are the best trainers, we may tend to treat for performance.

Hershey Kisses will do most anything for a piece of carrot, half a baby carrot works great, and I do not belive contributes to any weight issues.

The other thing I do, is to grab one handful of her morning kibble ration and put it in my pocket for whenever it may be to my benefit to reward her for good behavior. (Might not have carrots handy and these are always with me.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Yelloweyz is offline Senior Member

I make my own, but when I cant, I give ones with lower calories (will state it on the box ie. pupperoni or whatever the pet store has), or what we do most (when I dont have the time to bake), we buy puppy milk bones, and they get a half of one. All they need is a taste.

You could give baby carrots if they like those, good for their teeth and gums; or an apple slice.

Mom to Indy 6/12/98 to 11/16/11 (always in my heart), and Jobe 8-14-2000 to 6/24/2013 (Working TDI) English Labs, and Annie our Golden Retriever (TDI), and Kodiak (who will one day hopefully be a TDI dog if he doesn't kill me first).

Yelloweyz is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    My dogs don't get treats. They're dogs. They walk when I tell them to walk. They go into their crates when I tell them to.
    {snorts} Does Raven and Shanny know this?

Mom to Indy 6/12/98 to 11/16/11 (always in my heart), and Jobe 8-14-2000 to 6/24/2013 (Working TDI) English Labs, and Annie our Golden Retriever (TDI), and Kodiak (who will one day hopefully be a TDI dog if he doesn't kill me first).

hunterchrome is offline Senior Member

Thanks! I thought about it the other day to cut up little carrots in small pieces when I am walking them. They go nuts over them. My boyfriend is a worse culprit for giving the boys treats. They enjoy carrots and bananas more than cookies anyways. When Hunter is out barking like an idiot and cannot be distracted. I say Focus and carrot and he runs in the house.
    Hunter & Chrome

lab fan is offline Senior Member

When having problems calling Lucy to come in, yelling "banana" gets her running in the door, no problem! We use baby carrots cut up as well, both dogs love those.

Tilly, Feb.11, 2003
    Lucy, Oct. 24, 2010

lab fan is offline Senior Member

I know using bananas to bribe my dog to come in isn't the proper training method - yelling "come" gets her in 90% of the time, but when she is completely obsessed with something, it is the only way to get her attention! I am working on it!!!

Tilly, Feb.11, 2003
    Lucy, Oct. 24, 2010

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast