The Saga of Parker
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Saga of Parker

dweck is offline Senior Member

DefaultThe Saga of Parker

Okay, so yesterday taught me a few things.

1) Laura has done THE best job ever socializing her crew and prepping them for just about whatever life could possible throw at the. Yesterday turned out so wonky that a lesser dog would have gone to pieces. But Parker held up beautifully. Not to brag or anything, but he is an incredible dog, both inside and out...

and

2) I hate USAirways with my entire being.

The details:

Okay, so the beginning of all this you know: Got up yesterday. Drove to PHL airport. Boarded the plane and was all set. Met Laura. Met Parker. Kiss-kiss-hug-hug-potty-potty. Said goodbye to Laura and set about getting home. And that right there is where the train jumped the tracks.

There was a 1:30 flight back to PHL. I was told it was full but that I could go standby. So I went thru all the security rigamarole (including a separate screen so that Parker wouldn't have to go through the Star Trek transporter room x-rated x-ray pix) and dashed to the gate.

And everyone showed. So that 1:30 flight was a no-go.

Sooooooo.... we waited. I took Parker out of the bag and let him romp around a little. He played. He slept. He played. He slept. I fed him his lunch. All was good. He did pee, but I was able to use my pee-pee pads to catch the flow.

And at around 4:15 or so, we got the announcement that the flight was delayed. The plane was there, but the crew to man it was stuck in Charlotte. SOoooo we were looking more at about 5:15....

Which became 6:15....

7:00

7:20

7:40!

Ugh. Parker did REALLY well under the circumstances. I had him on a rotation of eat/sleep/pee and somehow the hours passed. There were, it seemed, a TON of dog lovers in the DTW airport yesterday, and I had plenty of "helpers" along the way, occupying his attention, giving pats, even watching him while I went to the bathroom.

Okay, ffwding. FINALLY at about 8:15, we boarded. RAY!!!

No!!!

We taxied out to the tarmac and then took this weirdo left hand turn and then RRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrr. I heard the engines cycle down.

Rut-roh.

"THis is your captain speaking. We've gotten notice from Phila airport of some heavy weather that we'er going to have to wait out by sitting here for a spell. I'll let you know when I get more information..."

8:30.

9:00

9:30

10:00!!! Poor Parker! I was worried about the fact that he hadn't pooped in quite a while (since Laura left). And hadn't had much to drink. I asked the stewardess for a cup of water, and when it arrived, the poor boy put his entire FACE in the cup and slurped it all down.

Finally, at a little after 10, we got the okay to go.

It was after 11 by the time I got off w/our kiddo. I hurried to some grass by the parking lot, and he let loose with a very needed, very satisfying pee. Ahhh...

Car ride home was fine. I rocketed down the highway, just eager to get this long day OVER. Parker snuggled on the passenger seat beside me (I wanted to give him some time OUT of the bag) and rested his chin on my knee. Aw!

I got home just after midnight. Kristin was asleep, but the older two were bouncing around the house.

WELCOME HOME, PARKER!!!!! =)

Kelrobin Cleveland Street Denizen, CGC, RN [Parker]

"Dear George: Remember, no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings. Love, Clarence" -- IAWL Screenplay (1946)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

I loved the end I would have gone crazy if I had to wait that long but you did have Parker. Man Parker truly had to be a trooper through all that mess. Laura you did a great job with socialization. Dan when are the pictures coming
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

AZLAB is offline Senior Member

What a day...flying is always so fun. Glad you made it safe and sound.
    Karon and Cinnamon

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Oh dear God! I was worried something like that had happened. I'm glad you two made it home finally.

Laura

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Wow, what a freaking miserable day! So glad you had such a handsome traveling companion to help you pass the time. Just think how bored you would have been had he not been there.

Glad you both made it home safely - now where are the pics with Parker and Eileen and the girls?!?!?!?!?!
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

What a nightmare for you! With such a trying beginning, the rest of "puppying" at home should seem like a breeze. Welcome home, both!

Seamus and Flynn

NM Lab Lover is offline Senior Member

Oh Dan!! That has to take the cake for "gotcha day" stories! Bless both of your hearts. I had no doubt though that your family would be waiting, bouncing, for your return with the beloved Parker. Now where are the pictures!! {{HUGS}}
    Love JL. Justlabradors.com!!!

allthatjazz is offline Senior Member

What a miserable trip home! You and Parker did outstanding!
    May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am

Terri and Jazzy

maloneandme is offline Senior Member

what a LONG day. yikes.
    thanks for the update!

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

OMG what a nightmare!!! He sounds like an awesome guy though! Wow, I'm impressed. So glad he's home and I can't wait to hear more Parker stories.

SO happy for you, Dan.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast