Anyone else's lab not like swimming or playing in water?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else's lab not like swimming or playing in water?

lostplot is offline Junior Member

DefaultAnyone else's lab not like swimming or playing in water?

It's been sixteen years since we last had a puppy and we were dreading it but we have now had our black boy since last October and he has been such an easy puppy and he is adorable.

We only live a short stroll from the beach so he's down there every day for a play but he won't venture near the sea and runs away from it! He won't even follow us if we go for a paddle and won't fetch his ball if it ends up in the waves. Anyone else have a water hating lab or is he just very unusual?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

Don't know if it is unusual. My Nellie will not get in a pool of any size, baby pool to adult pool. She does love the bay and ocean and will swim forever. I've only had Bailey for about a year and a half but last summer at the beach he saw the water and went crazy diving under constantly.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

HK would run in water as a pup, but refused to swim until she was 9 months old. Since then it has been difficult to keep her out of the water.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Java loves the water and swims like crazy every chance she gets...when we're out hiking she will take off if there is water near by, go for a dip then head back to us.
    Moka will swim, but she's in and out a few times and that's enough for her.
    She's not crazy about it like Java. Sometimes when we go out she won't go in the water at all. She's not afraid of it, just doesn't LOVE it like Java.

Laceezmom is offline Senior Member

Two lab generations ago I had one who was hydro-phobic. She could swim as occasionally she would fall into the pool which was installed during her life with us. She would paddle to the steps while shooting me a look as if to say, 'you just had to do this.' One hot summer day we were up at my son's summer camp in Maine for a visit and took about a one mile hike over pretty rocky terraine. She was hot at the end and as we came up to the crystal clear lake I thought I'll just slowly angle us toward the water so she can get her feet wet. Didn't happen. I was up to my knees with the leash attached and she had nary a toenail in the water.

Last Lab felt all water was meant to be for swimming or wallowing labs. She was wet at least half her life.

Flash forward to yesterday when the pool was opened for the season. Nine month old did a double take. Where was her trampoline? She went swimming once earlier this month in that same lake in Maine and swam like a champ. Now she is trying to figure out the steps. I figure it will take her half a day.

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

How old is your pup? Dozer was nervous of the water (lakes, rivers, ponds) until he was several months old. He only started really enjoying swimming when he was about a year old.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

lisa is offline Senior Member

Gracie is a little over two years old. We live on the beach...she will not swim at all, she will walk in the water, but no swimming. My husband put her in at high tide and she was hanging on to the lower seawall for dear life!!!! My other lab Lola LOVES to swim, I can't keep her out of the water.

blackjack is offline Senior Member

BJ will swim as long as retrieving is involved. I take him to the river near my friend's house and he will retrieve for hours. But he will not just go in to swim. If I go in and swim away from him he will swim out to me and then turn right around and head for shore. I took him to the beach last summer and he would walk in the water, but he did not care for the waves.

Rusty, Blaze & Buster Brown
    BJ - 3/9/2007 - 2/6/12 - miss you everyday
    Boomer - ? - 3/15/12 - always in my heart

Tanya is offline Senior Member

it's normal. Some come to love it as they get older, others are never real "water dogs" (even if they are labs).

If you can, set up a play date with other dogs who do love the water, sometimes they will follow other dogs in more easily than they follow humans. And he's still young - give it time.

Also - it can depend on the body of water. Some dog hate pools but love rivers. Maybe the water is abit rough where you are which makes it more intimidating to the dog (VS a calm lake)

ETA: I adopted Rocky when he was 18 months. He isn't much of a swimmer. He rarely goes in the water at my parent's cottage (his take on dock diving is in my signature photo). He does, however, seem to enjoy ponds. I haven't figure that out, I have been to a few places with ponds and he went right in. He will go in any body of water to chase a duck however!
    Last edited by Tanya; 05-27-2011 at 12:34 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Cheley is offline Senior Member

Sophie is 9 yr old and absolutely hates water. She's gone swimming once in her life (last summer - she ran into the creek, then ran right back out!). She hates to drink from the hose or be sprayed. But show that girl a mud puddle and she is right in the middle of it!

Her sister/littermate Kendall has always loved water and dives right in. My newest addition, Willow (1 yr old) loves it too.

My girls have always been exposed to water (creek, children's swimming pool, lake in Maine), but Sophie just doesn't want anything to do with it!

~Cheley, Kendall, Sophie, and Willow

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast