Who wants Bentley?

Thread: Who wants Bentley?

deidra is offline Senior Member

DefaultWho wants Bentley?

That dog is driving me insane! he took off again yesterday. he stays in the yard but darts out of reach. I was chasing him for 2hrs.! Finally I gave up called my cousin this is how it went
    me- Crystal bring Trixie over
    her- Bentley out again
    me-YES
    her-On my way

So she gets here and bentley See's Trixie in the car. My aunt opens the door adn he jumps right in. Trixie is a 4 month old pit bull terrier and they are Best friends and when they get together they are inseparable. So I am glad they moved into town. I think I will loose it if Bentley pulls this stunt one more time. he was doing great then yesterday he was just not listening. May I say he tore a corner off my baby blanket that my great grandma made! So he is in his crate at night from now on. He is in big big trouble!

No, I am not going to fall for his lab puppy eyes again.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Blondiega1 is offline Senior Member

Naughty Naughty Bentley!!
    It's a tough life.....but someone has to do it.
    Daisy and Coco sunbathing.

ScorpianAbarth is offline Senior Member

Stop giving him the opportunity to get out, or have a long line if you're out with him and want to give him more freedom

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScorpianAbarth View Post
    Stop giving him the opportunity to get out, or have a long line if you're out with him and want to give him more freedom
    ^that.

My parents don't have a fenced in yard, but they have a runner for their dog. Essentially it's a long clothes line type thing with a rope that comes down for the dog, and the rope attaches to the dog and travels the length of the clothes line. Their dog has about 100ft (long) of line to roam around on.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

He was doing very good on recall. We had him at the pond and as soon as I said heal he would come and sit right at my side.

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

I understand he's been doing good, but he needs to come 100% of the time, if he can't hold up to the 100% law, there has got to be another way to keep him confined. Also, a little hint, chasing him makes running away the best fun part. If he runs away like that and you want him to come back YOU have to be the most exciting thing in his world.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

YOU have to be the most exciting thing in his world.
    This is a huge concept that I learned with Dio. He used to to LOVE the catch me game. Ugh! Instead of chasing him, I ran the other way, bouncing a ball, playing with my hubby, whooping it up. Basically, making being with me an awesome thing. Gladly, this has worked a miracle and that butt has not played his catch me game in 6 months!
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

I acted like a monkey! i did not scratch my butt though...ew. I even ran from him but no, it was worthless. i am working with him and eh just turned one so I have afeeling it is only starting.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

I agree, he's gotta be 100% to get the reward of your trust & freedom of not being leashed all the time. With our dogs, we can't risk giving them opportunities, there is no 3 strikes then he's out. One of these times he may take off & something horrible could happen like getting hit by a car. Diesel does not get off leash privileges because his recall is not 100%. I get the sad old Lab eyes all the time. I'll take the guilt of that over the guilt of him getting hurt any day.

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

Yeah, work on being the best thing in the world to your dog. Also, repetition repetition repetition in situations where you can control. The times I have the least control are walks in the woods. I have to be extra alert for any person or animal around me. That includes watching Layla to see if something catch's her attention. I have control up to a certain point(distance from person or animal), then it is on me if I let a situation get past the point where she can control herself. If Layla does lose it, I sprint the other way and call her. 99% of the time that handles any situations. Make is so it is very hard for your dog to fail. Same goes with her in the front yard. I used a long line around the borders of the yard and lots of time and patience. I don't know how many times I have said "GET OFF THE ROAD" and enforced it with the long line....hundreds and hundreds. Now, she will honor the boundary without the long line. Again, I don't take chances. If I see a dog or a person I call Layla towards me and put her in a sit and either hold her leash or collar. Come to think of it, just have Bentley drag the long line when she is outside. You will be surprised how much reaction time you have when your dog bolts and there is a 30ft long line attached to him/her. Warning, don't use a long line with a training collar(choke collar). Also, if your dog bolts step on the long line if you can to stop your dog. If your dog does bolt and the long line is in your hands watch for rope burn on your hands.

Lastly, don't ever get mad at your dog when they bolt. You have to be the best thing in the world to your dog if you want good recall.