Making a big decision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making a big decision

Sammie is offline Junior Member

DefaultMaking a big decision

I currently have a lab who is a two yr old 70lb lab! His name is Kade, he is a wonderful friend.
    As a child i grew up around labs. So I'm very familiar with the breed. For a while now I have been really wanting to add another lab to our family and I'm having such a hard time making up my mind. My main reason for wanting another dog is for the companionship and a life long friend for my dog to bond with. My friend has two labs, and I love the way they play together and keep each other company.
    My husband and I live in a single level rancher, with a huge yard (over an acer) so having the room doesn't seem to be an issue. I don't know what is holding me back, i just want to be sure my dog and the new puppy will be happy.

Ive never owned two dogs before!! does anyone have any advise for me???
    How can I make this transition work?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

The first thing you should be aware of is the cost. I got Bailey about a year and a half ago from a rescue. My costs have more than doubled. I had no problems with the two of them bonding. They have gotten along great since day one.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

lab fan is offline Senior Member

I too had never owned two dogs at once, but Tilly was always so happy around her doggie friends, loved running and playing with them yet at home always seemed bored. We have had Lucy for 5 months now, and it has been great...and I wouldn't say two dogs is twice the work.
    It isn't twice as many walks - although our older lab is now getting way more exercise on our walks as she is running and playing with the puppy. It is more vacuuming though - twice the shedding!!!

At home there is nothing cuter than seeing the two of them cuddling up beside each other. Another plus, the older dog definitely made the training easier. She has been a great teacher!!
    Good luck making your decision!!

Tilly, Feb.11, 2003
    Lucy, Oct. 24, 2010

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

There is NEVER a guarante the dog/puppy you pick will be best friends with your current dog. So you Ned to get a second dOg because YOU want a second dog. Does your current dog often play/initiate play with other dogs?

TWo dogs is twice as Expensive and will take MORE of your time esPecially at first, but all their life they should hav som one on one time.

There are options other than a puppt. Like 1+ year old rescue. Plus with a rescue you can have them meet beforehand (though first meetings are not always gong to tell you what their long term relationship will be like)

You can also foster, or foster to adopt to see how you find two dogs.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

deidra is offline Senior Member

It get's pricy. I have 2 labs and it is hard but a lot of fun. I have 4 young brothers and sister and they all 6 get along Keep in mind it may be fun for your dog to have a companion but the dog yo have now may get jealous. Also 2 dogs mean double of everything meaning vet bills. my mom was just fired and it has been hard having 2 labs and an older mix. Do you have time for 2 dogs that need : traning,socialization, one on one time with you and the whole family, the most ok one of the most important the $ for two labs. Labs as they get older seem to be the pocket diggers. Does your whole family like the idea of it? If you have allergies like me it is a pain in the butt when they blow their coat. Like Tanya said have you considered adoption? If I were you I would foster a couple dogs and just see if it works with having 2 dogs.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Sammie is offline Junior Member

Thank You everyone!!! We are well aware of the double cost of taking in a second dog. My only concern is that our dog was not create trained. He has the room of the house and does so well with this. I really want to create train the new puppy, will this cause compilation's what should we do?
    Last edited by Sammie; 05-22-2011 at 08:43 PM.

deidra is offline Senior Member

You have to train it. Make the crate a safe place to go not a bad thing. Is your whole family up to the challenge of two dogs? What is your work schedules? Will you be home long enough for the training of 2 dogs?
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

I believe that the most important thing is a relationship between a dog and his owner. If that relationship isn't rock solid then adding another dog will make things worse. If that relationship is rock solid AND you have enough time to make another relationship rock solid then I think it could work. The large yard should only be one small factor in your decision.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I'll tell you that getting a second Lab was the best decision for us. Mine are 3 years apart and they are such fast friends. While it is more expense (and a lot more food and a LOT more poop), it's quite worth it. They are really entertaining too.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I think each owner, circumstances and dogs are different and think you have to weight up the pros and cons in your household. Can you mind a friends dog for a week and see how it works if you are unsure. I understand how seeing someone else it looks so good. I was like that.

Training or taking them out isn't easy as I thought as each has their own habits or needs.
    They get on well and it is nice for Erns to have the company.
    I find there is less one on one with the 2 so any training is harder and one will teach the other habits good or bad.
    Going away minders may not want 2. My brother is finding this harder.

I don't know how others feel, but I like the bond Erns and I have wonder if I had 2 earlier ( as I wanted to) would I have the same bond.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast