WE FOUND A TICK!!!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WE FOUND A TICK!!!!

rpost7786 is offline Senior Member

DefaultWE FOUND A TICK!!!!

Avery's on Frontline, but we found a tick on his neck. Keith was like "WE HAVE TO CALL THE ANIMAL HOSPITAL!!!!!!!" I laughed and said no we can take it out (gross) I did some research online on the proper way to pull them out and dispose of them. I'm not sure we got the head out.... We put rubbing alcohol on it like suggested. Should we make an appointment with the vet? and obviously switch to something other than Frontline??
    Rachel, Keith, Scarlett & Avery = One happy little Family

"A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A water log stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if your rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he'll give you his. How many people can you say that about? How many people can make you feel rare and pure and special? How many people can make you feel extraordinary?"- John Grogan

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Java used to be on Frontline...but I was always finding ticks on her and she ended up with Lyme. Frontline did not work at all.
    We switched to Advantix and have yet to find a tick on either girl, which is impressive because we live in a very tick heavy area.

rpost7786 is offline Senior Member

Can you get Advantix from the pet store??
    Do we need to take him to the vet now? I don't want it to get infected... What should I look out for? Redness where it used to be?
    Rachel, Keith, Scarlett & Avery = One happy little Family

"A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A water log stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if your rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he'll give you his. How many people can you say that about? How many people can make you feel rare and pure and special? How many people can make you feel extraordinary?"- John Grogan

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

No vet visit needed. I don't know if you can get it at a pet store - I kind of doubt it. But you can get those things online (like through Drs. Foster and Smith). I don't use it.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

BlackLabbie is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rpost7786 View Post
    Do we need to take him to the vet now? I don't want it to get infected... What should I look out for? Redness where it used to be?
    I would hold off on the vet. Ticks aren't an emergency. You pulled it off and cleaned the area. You could also put a little triple antibiotic (like, Neosporin) on it. I'd watch it, but if it doesn't get infected (red, swollen) I wouldn't worry. The area should scab over and heal up.
    -Stephanie
    "Apollo", CGC- black Labrador Retriever
    "Molson"- buff American Cocker Spaniel
    "Patty"- black American Cocker Spaniel
    "Pepper" Najaco's Northeast Storm- black Labrador Retriever 5/11/92-9/18/05

http://blacklabbie.blogspot.com/

deidra is offline Senior Member

Our dogs used to get ticks all the time! We pulled them off checked to make sure the head was with then put like you did rubbing alchol on it. If it gets oozy green stuff is comming out then a vet trip may be needed.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

crap! My dog is on frontline too. We found 3 ticks after a walk on Saturday(one attached). Since then we found two more yesterday attached and one today attached. Holy smokes! This is crazy. I am calling the vet to get Layla on something else.

Quote Originally Posted by slackercodemonkey View Post
    crap! My dog is on frontline too. We found 3 ticks after a walk on Saturday(one attached). Since then we found two more yesterday attached and one today attached. Holy smokes! This is crazy. I am calling the vet to get Layla on something else.
    Like I said, once we switched to Advantix we have never found another tick on either of the girls.
    Java did get Lyme, while on Frontline.

Quote Originally Posted by rpost7786 View Post
    Can you get Advantix from the pet store??
    I think you can get Advantix from Petco or Petsmart, but I'm not sure...I only ever buy it from my vet. They usually have coupons at the vet...buy 6, get 2 free...I only trust buying it from the vet.

And, no, it's not an emergency. At her next vet visit you can mention it.

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

My two are on Frontline Plus and have had no problems but I only use it in the summer.
    I did buy something called a Tick Key which looks like a small beer can opener. You slide it over the tick and pull. Takes out the whole tick, head and all.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast