What are your thoughts on dog parks?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are your thoughts on dog parks?

Scout08 is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhat are your thoughts on dog parks?

I know there are a lot of people who don't like dog parks. I just moved back to the city that I went to high school in (Huntsville, AL) and there is a dog park nearby. Next to the dog park is a stream and a walking path. Caitlin and I have been taking Chuck for her walks over there and she loves jumping in the stream and playing frisbee in the field. Usually, we have been going during work hours, so not many people have been there and no dogs. However, I did take her on the weekend and there were 10 dogs in the park (It is really just a fenced in field) so I let her go make friends. I found out that this group of dogs is there at the same time every Saturday and Sunday. Among them was a Great Dane, 2 Afghan Hounds, 2 Basset hounds, 1 Lab, 1 golden, and a few mutts that I didn't hear what they were. Chuck did pretty good... She was a little skeptical at first and she was a little bit nippy with the Great Dane, but no growling, barking or biting. When she warmed up to the dogs, she found out that she was the fastest dog there and she started running circles around all the other dogs. The Great Dane seemed particularly interested in her and kept knocking her over with its paws, but it was not aggressive, just play. It would push her, and then run and Chuck would chase after her. I am thinking about having Caitlin join that group of people on weekends while I am on tour this summer. All the dogs seemed well behaved, the people were nice, and Chuck enjoyed it. What do you guys think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

I think dog parks are great to get your dog interacting with other dogs. It doesn't usually work for me to get Layla really tired out though anymore. I need to do off leash walks up in the woods for that. I usually hit the dog park after a walk when she is somewhat tired, but not too tired to have a romp for a bit. This seems to keep Layla's romping down a bit for those overly protective owners who panic when dogs are being dogs. Be careful though, my dog park has questionable dog owners visit from time to time. Watch them and their dogs closely. If you see something such as a buff dude who looks like he would rather punch you than smile with a big muscular dogs pulling on a huge chain get the heck out of there! Mainly the dog park that I go to probably has a revolving 60 or 70 regular dogs going to it with around 5 or 6 being the norm. You will figure out the regulars pretty quick. Oh, and it is pretty nice if you can find one where park attendants make rounds regularly.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I think it depends on the dog park.

The one in our area is great. When Kassa was about 6 months old we meet another Lab the same age, and started meeting every day between 4.30 and 5. It wore them both out and as new Lab owners got to discuss our dogs. As they got older word got out about and more people came and soon it was doggy happy hour. Most of the owners and dogs were good and if owners didn't take responsiblity for their own dog a couple of people would tell them. If a ball dropped at someones feet they would throw it to your dog. It was wonderful and I missed that after Kassy died. It is still going after 5 years. Erns can't go as he can't run around the same as the other dogs and I don't want him in the creek. Gems has a few friends there.

You do get the odd dog and or owner not that great.

ETA A couple of Xmas they had doggy Xmas party and the dogs got dressed up and dinner in the park.
    Not sure how long that lasted after Kassy went, but don't think it is done now.
    Last edited by kassabella; 05-19-2011 at 01:01 AM.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

I don't take my girls to dog parks. The only times we would be able to go are after work and on the weekends when there would be tons of people there.
    Too many idiots and irresponsible dog owners go to dog parks.

2labcrew is offline Senior Member

We had one just open here 2 miles from my house, but I won't take my boys. It just seems like a germ farm with increased potential for my vet to reap the benefits.
    Miriam , Digger, and Kodi

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Depends on the dog park (and even, the time of day at that dog park) and the dogs.

Not all dogs love the dog park (or like it when it is busy) so best to take the cue from the dog (with the expetion of a newer dog that is shy, at which point you need to work with them to properly introduce them and make them comfortable).

The dog parks here (only 2 are fenced) are small. (very small). so after work one is just too busy, so even though it is close I hate to go there. More issues pop up when the dogs barely have room to run around anyway. Weekends, depedning on the park, is when they "non-regulars" pop up so sometimes you get dogs that are reactive/not dog park dogs. However, you also get more waves of people (i.e. distributed over the day) so you can find a quieter time (here anyway).

I find it annoying during a work day when the dog walkers are there. Some are great but others...not so great. so you end up with just too high a dog to human ratio. (again, some of them are awesome and take great care to watch/interact wtih the dogs but others, no).

You have to test the waters and watch your dog. don't be afraid to leave if something happens or a dog is there you are not comfortable with.

ETA: agree with the above, you get all kinds of bugs and injuires at a park. Not saying you will end up at the vet but it is always possible.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

HK goes to a dog park almost twice a day. Each DP has its own personality, and each hour of the day it changes based on the dogs and peeps present. If you find a good park, a good group of peeps and dogs, go for it. I enjoy the parks almost as much as HK. Weekend mornings we drive 25 miles each way to one that has a river as part of its boundary, and HK gets clean moving water to swim in.

PS: On our road trip this past January, I could not find a single dog park in MS. Somebody needs to get them posted on Dogs Parks USA.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

Ed: If there are any dog parks in MS, I am not aware of them. The state is too rural. Finding training grounds for HT/FT is still a problem, even in a state this rural.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I thought MS was beautiful as we drove across the southern shore and then north on non-interstate roads. I was surprised that i couldn't find a DP in the state with any of the internet tools I tried.

Guldcoast, please put on your armor now.<g>

Discussing it with friends here, we decided that the people in MS see no need for a dog park. They just let their dogs out to roam and run where they want.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

Most rural landowners do just that, as mankind has done since the dog was domesticated. The "urban carnivore" is a new concept in this state, which is not very urban. We are, however, considering changing our "open border" policy with the rest of the nation.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast