Question????
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question????

Jen'slabKasey is offline Junior Member

QuestionQuestion????

Ok, this is a totally non-lab related question but i figured i would ask anyway..A friend of a friend of mine just put a deposit down on an American Bulldog puppy...Now i realize that this is not a recognized breed, however i was looking thru this breeders website and i saw that the mother of the liter he put a deposit down was being bread with her great- great Grandfather..When i pointed this out, he said that many American Bulldog breeders do this..Huh???? This cant be right!! isnt that a from of inbreeding?? No matter how many generations removed??? Im not a breeder or anything but i would really like to tell this guy he is making a big mistake...Any info??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nicole is offline Senior Member

It's called linebreeding, which yes is a form of inbreeding. If you really want to talk about inbreeding, you should talk to silver breeders! lol

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

A lot of dogs are line-bred (as are horses, show cattle etc.) Line-breeding (and in breeding ) concentrates genes...both good and bad so exceptional dogs are often found repeated in a pedigree. This increases your chances of getting the characteristics that made them so great. Breeding too close brings too much of a chance of getting two recessive genes that might have a detrimental effect.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the info! I appreciate it.... [email protected], really? I was asking a serious question hoping for a serious answer. I guess that was too much to ask? As if I haven't gotten enough sh*t on this site, now my dog is being labeled as "inbred"..

nicole is offline Senior Member

Actually it was a completely serious answer. Look at the pedigrees of silvers, you usually don't have to go very far back to see some scary inbreeding. Because they had no clue about genetics and believed (or flat out lied) that the color magically appeared, sibling breeding and parent/offspring breedings were quite commonly done to make the color appear. If you'd share your dogs pedigree, I'm sure we'd see it.

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

COI is the coefficient of inbreeding. All purebred dogs are the result of inbreeding/line breeding to “cement” the good characteristics. A number commonly tossed about is that a litter should ideally not have a COI more than 6.25%. There are many accomplished field competitors who strongly disagree with that number, as it is not uncommon for 2xNAFC 2xCNAFC FC Ebonstar Lean Mac to be all over both sides of a FT pedigree. If I understand the calculation correctly, 12.5% is essentially a half-sibling to half-sibling breeding or grandparent grandchild breeding. A COI of 25% would be a parent/child or brother/sister breeding.
    Last edited by GulfCoast; 05-20-2011 at 10:42 AM.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

I didn't get my dog from a silver breeder..She camee from a breeder of Chocolates. Both parents were Chocolate. Granted, my dog was bred to improve hunting lines, not for conformation or Show and both parents have titles in field trials...looking at my dogs pedigree, I see no evidence of imbreeding..however, now I'm curious..I'm gonna dig a little deeper and look the pedigrees of those further back in line..thanks

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jen'slabKasey View Post
    I didn't get my dog from a silver breeder..She camee from a breeder of Chocolates. Both parents were Chocolate. Granted, my dog was bred to improve hunting lines, not for conformation or Show and both parents have titles in field trials...looking at my dogs pedigree, I see no evidence of imbreeding..however, now I'm curious..I'm gonna dig a little deeper and look the pedigrees of those further back in line..thanks
    All silvers go back to one kennel who bred Labs and also.....wait for it, wait for it......WEIMARANERS.

Laura

ThreeTs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by GulfCoast View Post
    COI is the coefficient of inbreeding. All purebred dogs are the result of inbreeding/line breeding to “cement” the good characteristics. A number commonly tossed about is that a litter should ideally not have a COI more than 6.25%. There are many accomplished field competitors who strongly disagree with that number, as it is not uncommon for 2xNAFC 2xCNAFC FC Ebonstar Lean Mac to be all over both sides of a FT pedigree. If I understand the calculation correctly, 12.5% is essentially a half-sibling to half-sibling breeding or grandparent grandchild breeding. A COI of 25% would be a parent/child or brother/sister breeding.
    Is 6.25% an 8 generation COI, 10, or ? Who tosses that number around?

Samson is offline Senior Member

Oh good lord ! More breaders !

Use your loaf folks FGS !

Get it - Loaf - Bread ..............Oh I give up !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast