Mr. Pukey Pukerson... advice please!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mr. Pukey Pukerson... advice please!

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

QuestionMr. Pukey Pukerson... advice please!

Diesel seems to always have had a gurgly stomach & vomits probably more than an average dog would/should. He's been vomiting more recently as he's been a total Labracow eating grass alot.

He gets ProPlan Selects Adult, 1.5c 2x a day; he does not get table scraps, doesn't get into the garbage, is not off leash to get into anything outside.

I wonder despite the big rubber ball in his dish to slow him down if perhaps the dish itself is too low to the ground & he's ingesting a bunch of air? Or maybe the food is too hard on his stomach? Everything out the back end is fine so I don't think it's an intestinal blockage plus I'm not missing anything. It takes him about 4-6hrs after eating to vomit if he does. He's acting his usual playful goofy self so I don't think he's under the weather.

The last 3 meals I have him stand up to eat from my hand so his head isn't too high or low, and giving him little handfuls so he gets breaks in between. Honestly I think it's the first time I've actually heard him crunch his kibble instead of swallowing it whole when he eats from his bowl. He still vomitted today but it wasn't whole kibble this time.

His stomach gurgles very frequently. I was thinking of switching him to the Sensitive Stomach formula & wondering if I should look into some kind of digestive supplement?

He was fasted not too long ago when he had the foul breath & vomitting & was given just chicken & rice which he also eventually tossed up. Garth mentioned once before about glucose powder to ease indigestion, but I couldn't find it anywhere even via special order.

Btw we are going to the vet next week for his annual, just don't want to get sold on xrays & meds by the vet if it may not be necessary - obviously if it was warranted it's no question but my vet tends to do the "well, it's up to you" comment that always ends up with me taking out my wallet. I don't want to medicate & upset his intestinal balance any further if it isn't necessary.

Anything else we can try? I'd prefer natural remedies.

ETA: the episode where he was fasted recently xrays were done to see if there was a blockage & a bunch of air bubbles were visible in the xray. This is why I think it is indigestion.
    Last edited by Diesel_Dawg; 05-18-2011 at 07:14 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ScorpianAbarth is offline Senior Member

Have scan read as I was in a hurry (sorry!) but have you tried feeding him a different meat to see if he still brings it up? Zack had an awfully upset stomach so after fasting for 24 hours and chicken and rice for 3 days...the vet diagnosed that he was allergic to chicken LOL I felt terrible, but bought him a steak on the way home and that stayed down/in!

bett is offline Senior Member

probiotics. the kind people use. it's kept in the fridge. 5billion whatever per pill. 2 pills 2x per day. took 2 bottles (180 pills in each bottle ) for me to see a difference in rex's breath and i think he gurgles less. he also gets tums with each meal.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

What is he doing before and after meals?
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

I had a similar problem with Koivu when he was younger - I had been adding in some salmon oil and giving him salmon treats which he loved. Took him to the vet, got diagnosed with gastroenteritis and given meds, but the problem only really stopped when I stopped giving him salmon
    I think unfortunately, that the reasons dog puke are endless (or so it seems to me at times).
    It's good that you already have an appt with the vet. Hopefully no extra trip needed!

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

My Diesel has had intermittent problems with upchucking his whole meal a few hours after eating. We did 2 periods of giving him Pepcid 2x a day for several days to settle him down. Has worked for us. I think it is part of his whole high maintenance train wreck constitution and I am sure we'll revisit this sometime - but this simple solution is all it took for him.

Looking forward to what your vet says.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

CindersMyGirl is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    I think it is part of his whole high maintenance train wreck constitution .
    This made me lol, for real.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

If it were me I would change his food and see if he still puked. With Erns some food made him really puke. Chicken would have Erns puking most of all.

If Erns has a gurgly tummy, gas eating grass and vomit I feed him plain boiled rice. Nothing else at all. You could see if this helps.If it has been going on for some time I would like an ultrasound so I can at least rule out anything else.

Goood thoughts. I know what it is like trying to figrue it out.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Well, for starters it always amazes me what human stuff you can give to a dog! Pepto, pepcid, probiotics! I'm always cautious as a friend had killed her cat giving him half an aspirin or tylenol when he was in pain.

I wonder if he's allergic to the ingredients. The formula of ProPlan Selects in Canada for Adult is Turkey & Barley, I've seen ads for the other flavours, Chicken & Brown Rice & Salmon or Lamb but I think that's only in the US? I gave him some boiled chicken the other night & he tossed that up, he's thrown up just rice before too. I'm going to start switching him to the Sensitive Stomach tomorrow so that by his appointment he should be weaned off the regular Selects.

I'm going to ask my vet about the probiotics... any bets on him suggesting I pay for special animal probiotics or a med in lieu of that cost twice as much?! Geez, ballpark $$ on an ultrasound?!

Karina, you asked what he does before & after ... Before I always make sure he is calm, sometimes I even wake him to feed him. If he's too hyper or recently exercised I make him wait awhile to ensure his food can settle easily. Afterwards he tends to just chill out on the couch licking his paws, etc. But I never exercise him or allow him to get too hyper after either. Is that what you meant?

I honestly think Diesel is just one of those dogs that is always got something going on!

Yelloweyz is offline Senior Member

All our dogs have elevated feeders which helps a lot with the digestive process. My golden is a super piggy when it comes to eating, so I added a dallop of fat free yogurt and it slows her down because she wants to get every bit of it. My first golden was on Pepcid when I adopted him because he would throw up all the time, he would have a sour stomach. We found that giving two meals a day (they fed him once a day) and a couple of treats before bed helped him out as he always had a little bit of food in his stomach.

Mom to Indy 6/12/98 to 11/16/11 (always in my heart), and Jobe 8-14-2000 to 6/24/2013 (Working TDI) English Labs, and Annie our Golden Retriever (TDI), and Kodiak (who will one day hopefully be a TDI dog if he doesn't kill me first).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast