For those that foster
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those that foster

Jessica.B is offline Member

DefaultFor those that foster

Do you like/prefer to have a certain amount of time in between fosters? I had my first foster last week for 5 days. He was adopted this past Sunday. Today I am getting my next foster. Do any of you take fosters back to back? I am brand new at this and would like to know from others how you like to do your fostering. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

i take long breaks usually in btween, I think 3-4 weeks is the shortest I have gone between fosters. then depending on the time of year (if I am busier at work it is harder to balance a foster as well, or if I am travelling...and I have never hard a foster during the holdays so nov-dec is usually foster free).

everyone is different. find the balance that is right for you. I know people that have a swinging door, so one goes, another comes in (or sometimes one comes in before the other one is completley out the door...)

with your puppy just make sure you still have enough time for the one on one training she still needs. if you find it hard to balance than take a break and concentrate on your own dog. I do this with Rocky even though he is older. I like taking time to attend classes with him (he enjoys them, as do I) but I find it harder to take a class while I still have a foster.

ETA: Also ensure you don't burn yourself out. when needed don'T be afraid to say "I am taking a break" or "not right now". I have seen alot of people start in rescue and then go 110% and burn out in a year then leave. (they usually do alot more than foster though, for the rescue)
    Last edited by Tanya; 05-18-2011 at 05:17 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Thanks Tanya. I just need to do it to find out what the right balance is for me. I want to help so many but I know I can't do it all. I am single mom with a 3 year old and I work full time. I don't want to end up burning out and have no time for my daughter and my puppy. With the first foster it worked out fine but I have enjoyed the last few days and I have concentrated on my daughter and puppy only these last few days. So I will get my next foster today and see how I feel after this one. And who knows, this one could stay longer or shorter. She is 9 and was an owner surrender on Sunday so hopefully she will get adopted fairly quickly.

Do you crate all of your fosters when you're not at home?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

yep. the one that was not crated was fine for a month then chewed my shoes and remote. so they were crated after that lol!

i don't know how you do it. i have just Rocky, who is not a puppy, and no kids and find it hard to balance a foster sometimes (mind you I don't have a yard so it's more work but still).

Well I may find it to be too much after I foster some more. So far I have only had the 1 4 month old puppy and he was a breeze. He was only here for 5 days. If I feel like I need a break after any foster then I will for sure take a break. I do have a yard so that does make it easy and we all go outside and play. Most of our time is spent at home unless I am at work of course and its pretty low key. It's just us so we aren't really that busy. If I had a bigger family then it might be more difficult.

Have you ever had trouble with crating an adult? The puppy was easy to crate but I am sure it will be an experience to crate an adult who has not been crate trained before. Princess has been crated since the day she came home. At 6 months old she is still crated if I am not home. I still come home though every day at lunch and let her out to potty and run around. But people make comments about her being crated. Friends, family and co-workers all say things like why aren't I leaving her in the back yard when I am not home, or chained up in the back yard, or why can't she be left alone in the house. I get so mad because they really have no idea and I have to do it to keep her safe and from my house/yard getting destroyed. And even when the day comes that I trust her to be out of the crate, she won't be left outside. I am not comfortable with that. I wish people would stop telling me that I am being cruel for still crating her and crating a foster. One friend said that chaining her up in the yard would be less cruel than me crating her.

every dog and situation is different so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I often don't have time to do the crate thing "properly". Most of the time, it involves me tossing treats in the crate (and the food bowl usually haha) and coaxing htem in. They get a short time to walk in on their own then I gently push them in. Sometimes I get a foster and have to leave either early the next am or even an hour later for work. So thoug no ideal...it's been ok. If I have more time I will just feed in the crate (door open) for awhile. At night the crate is usually in my room (they are quieter that way haha). They are only crated at night if necessary though, most are crate free at night pretty early on (if not right away, in which case I close my bedroom door so I limit the maount of trouble they can get in). I have only had one "older" dog, most have been around 2-6 years of age.

I find the first few days with a new foster stressful. that is when more accidents happen, where some are nervous and thus restless (pacing, pant, can't settle) and usually means a few sleepless nights. (not always though). It can mean LONNNG hours outside waiting for them to pee. but they all bounce back real well, some are good from day 1.

No worries about crating - I crated Rocky until he was 4ish, until he was finally reliable. it's for their safety. I said after a $500 overnight at the e-vet for getting into cocoa (on the TOP shelf of the TOP cupbaord) that the crate was less "cruel". People will say all kinds of things about how to raise a dog, do what works for you. (just like everyone has opinions on how to raise kids)!

Well I am not getting the foster tonight after all but on Friday instead. This works out better so I will have the whole weekend for her to get settled and get her comfortable with the crate if she isn't already. If she had came tonight then I would have to do quick crate training for her to go in by tomorrow while I am at work. So I am totally happy it got pushed back to Friday. This will be my first experience with an older dog too so it gives me more time to get to know her before work on Monday. I just talked to the rescue lady and Millie (the foster) went to the vet today and the vet thinks she is more around the age of 6 instead of 9. So that is better too I think for getting her adopted quicker. She is mellow, likes to play and when tired will go inside for a nap and she goes potty on command. So all sounds good. She will be sleeping in my room at night with Princess as well. I already have 2 crates in my room so I will see how it goes if she needs to be crated at night or not.

I want to get a baby gate for my door in my room because I am so scared to sleep with my bedroom door closed. I like to be able "hear" if anything goes on in the house at night. Princess has slept outside of her crate a few times. A couplpe of times she slept on the floor by the bed and the last few times was on bed. But then she started growling and barking at me when we would be in the living room doing whatever just hanging out in the evenings so back in the crate at night she went and her "attitude" stopped.

I hope Millie isn't like Skeeter was with peeing. Skeeter would not pee from the time I got home at 7 pm till the next morning at 5:30 am and when he finally went pee I couldn't believe how much he had held. It took a few days for me to get him to go pee easily. I think that was the hardest thing with him I had to deal with. I was finally able to get him to go when I had Princess go pee right in front of him and then he would go pee too.

I have been getting better at ignoring people when they make comments about me crating. They aren't the ones paying the vet bills or repairing my house.

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

I'm similar to Tanya, it depends what is going on in my other life that ultimately dictates how close together my fosters are.

Alot depends on the puppy & how long they were with me. Some of my pups were super-easy and/or with me a short time, so I would get another one immediately after those. I've had a few who presented more of a challenge (one pup with fear issues who was with me 6 weeks) or my current who is with me 10 weeks tomorrow. I typically like to take a short break & give Lexi some solo time after those.

In fact my current foster, Ebony, is headed to another foster home next week due to an upcoming business trip. But that will be good for her, as the rescue she is with does alot of events in CT, so the new foster will be able to get her out to the adoption events & she'll have a good chance of getting adopted in short order.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

brody is offline Senior Member

I agree with Tanya re timing completely - that said I don't think I've had more than 3 nights (when we moved two years ago) without a foster animal in the house since 1994 when Darby came for a pre-agreed 2 week term .. she stayed 2 months

I have walked pretty close to burnout but I just re-invent what I do then I'm good to go again - for me it's the people who burn me out usually not the animals

I do the same thing as Tanya re crating too - I do eventually work on crate training but there isn't always time ... around here for the past 8 years or so dogs only get really super good treats (stuffed kongs or whatever) in crates so it's not too rough
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

oh - one thing I ment to mention. I have my fosters for an average of 1.5 months, two were with me 3 months. Because I know it is not a "short term" commitment (even with easy to adopt dogs - the shortest they stayed with me was 4 weeks) I am more cautious about when to take on another dog. Obviously if my average was under a month I would be more quick to take another - but I generally factor in what will be going on in my life for the next 2 or so months when considering another rescue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast