Kendall has spay incontinence.

Thread: Kendall has spay incontinence.

Cheley is offline Senior Member

DefaultKendall has spay incontinence.

Had Kendall to the vet tonight. She has been peeing/leaking on her blanket at night when she is sleeping and I also noticed it once during the day. Doesn't happen every day, but it has happened several times. She also has some redness/soreness around her vulva which the vet says is likely due to the leaking and continued dampness. She gave me an ointment for the irritation.

They did a battery of bloodwork to make sure nothing was wrong with her kidneys, etc. Bloodwork all came back perfectly normal, so she is pretty certain it is spay incontinence. She prescribed PPA (proin) 1-2x/day for the next 3-4 weeks, and then we can start weaning her down. She said that she has several dogs on it that have been weaned down to 1-2x/week.

I've been doing some reading about the side effects of Proin/PPA and it's a little frightening. I did a search on here and found that quite a few of you are treating dogs with spay incontinence - some with PPA, some with DES.

For those of you giving PPA, how often do you give it? Any side effects noted?

I've got a lot going on here right now, but want to do what's best for Kendall. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

~Cheley, Kendall, Sophie, and Willow

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

HK is on DES. Sunday night and Thursday morning.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

zoezoe is offline Senior Member

Zena, my big yellow girl, is on Proin; she takes 1/2 tablet every other day. We came to that on our own; my vet said I could tweak what worked for her.
    edited to say no side effects ... we have never dosed that much in one day, though.
    my vet also likes it over other treatments.