For those that Take there dogs to public swimming areas
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those that Take there dogs to public swimming areas

momofalab is offline Senior Member

DefaultFor those that Take there dogs to public swimming areas

There is a man made pond in our area. I have seen dogs swim there, not very deep, but a good size pond. My older dog, never cared for water, so we are very new to swimming with our lab. We walked Newt around the pond the other day, and he was ready to dive right in.

My questions...is there any thing I should be alarmed with when it comes to swimming? I know Labs are suppose to love to swim, but I am more concerned with the pond itself. The Pond does have fish in it, Geese and Ducks use it, etc...typical pond. I don't see us using it for more than maybe fetching and such for short periods of time. If you don't allow your dogs to swim in Ponds, what are your reasons?

-Shannon

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

Our girls swim in ponds but we run them in hunt tests & they go in all kinds of water. When it is hot, I just watch for blue-green algae (Cyanobacteria). It can be toxic to dogs if they ingest it.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

HK goes into the pond at a local dog park until about early July. I won't let her in after that. It gets pretty scuzzy. I try to take her to a bigger park on weekends where she an go in the river. Clean moving water.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Do I wait till it is warmer? Right now, it is roughly 60-70's during the day...Water temp I am sure isn't that warm...or is it ok now. I have seen some dogs already in there.

georgie is offline Senior Member

Our girls have been in the water already. They are in & out doing retrieves. I dry them off when they come out of the water.

Mazie's Mom is offline Senior Member

Let them in!!! the water temp has nothing to do with anything...

We live on the Oregon coast and Mazie swims often... as someone else said.. watch for an algae bloom...

otherwise let them swim& explore...

Thanks Guys! Newton Thanks you too!!

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Bauer swims in a few different ponds. The pond on our property is natural, and has a lot of scrub brush on one end. When he swims at home I always take his collar off (I am afraid he will get it hooked on something). The other ponds are smaller and man-made with nothing but grass and rocks around the edges, and I leave his collar on.

Bauer's favorite pond is in an office park that is on our running route. As we approach it he always looks at me as if to say, "Can I swim today?" I give him a little nod and he takes off to go for a quick swim. I wonder what the people that work there would think if they saw a lab dive in and paddle around their scenic, pretty pond. He doesn't hurt anything, but he doesn't exactly "go" with the area .
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

deidra is offline Senior Member

We take our dogs to a beach or the pond at our campsite and that is all summer. Plus if it is their first time I put a long leash on just in case.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by momofalab View Post
    There is a man made pond in our area. I have seen dogs swim there, not very deep, but a good size pond. My older dog, never cared for water, so we are very new to swimming with our lab. We walked Newt around the pond the other day, and he was ready to dive right in.

My questions...is there any thing I should be alarmed with when it comes to swimming? I know Labs are suppose to love to swim, but I am more concerned with the pond itself. The Pond does have fish in it, Geese and Ducks use it, etc...typical pond. I don't see us using it for more than maybe fetching and such for short periods of time. If you don't allow your dogs to swim in Ponds, what are your reasons?

-Shannon
    Your dogs are gorgeous, who´s their breeder?

I would let them swim, unless the water is stagnant and full of algae. Algae blooms occur during hot warm sunny weather, not in cooler temps.

Just make sure to rinse them with clear water afterwards and they should be fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast