The Honeymoon's Over

Thread: The Honeymoon's Over

SharonaZamboni is offline Senior Member

DefaultThe Honeymoon's Over

I knew this day would come, but not sure how to proceed. Bean left the yard-trying to follow my son's car as he drove away. My husband had Bean in a sit, with his hand on the collar. Of course husband won't listen to me- he let go and puppy split. Didn't go too far, and we live in a very quiet area.
    I noticed Bean wanting to follow cars from our driveway a couple of days ago, so I have him sit, holding his collar, then have him go directly in the house. Even when the car is gone from sight, he will try to sniff the trail if he is outside. He hasn't wandered off any other time so far...
    I'm guessing that Bean's going to need a leash every time he goes out now. Besides a solid "stay", is there anything else I should do to discourage this behavior?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Fence your yard or put him on a tie-out. Nothing else is going to keep a dog in the yard when he wants to leave it.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

Obedience classes and do not let him off leash.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

so, you have an unfenced yard and want to leave your dog unleashed (hopefully when you are around - have you done perimeter training or formal recall training yet? If not, he should not be offleah unless it is a safely fenced area (where you go to start training, but start with a long line). period. and only once sufficient amount of training has been done should being offleash be cosidered, especially if he has shown interest in chasing cards.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

He is only outside with close supervision. I have been doing boundary training, although I didn't know there was a name for it! Will continue to do it with the leash. I knew he'd try to leave as he got older. Now that I see he wants to leave sometimes, he'll be on a long lead.
    Just still missing my old Cammy, who wasn't leashed or tied the last 12 years of her life, and wouldn't roam.

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Zoe is 8 and I will never let her out of our fenced yard w/o a leash. She has good recall, good obedience, but for her, there is no such thing as 100%. We do live on a private road, so there is very little traffic, but still she is on leash. When I do things outside of the fenced area, I put her on a long tie out.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

My boss' young beautiful Dutch Shepherd loved to chase cars. She was hit and killed by one right in front of their house a few weeks ago.

My advice is to fence the yard. Some dogs, no matter how well trained, will elope if the right attractant happens.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Maybe you should keep him in the house whenever a loved one leaves in a car so that Bean doesn't associate cars with taking away someone he loves. Better that cars evoke a happy feeling...going for a ride. In any event, I hope you can teach him that chasing cars is vert bad.

Melissa is offline Senior Member

We couldn't leave Otis outstide unleashed even at the very end. Poor guy could barely walk but he would still try to hobble away down the street. He just had a wandering spirit.

Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end. -- Unknown

Poor Otis! Reminds me of a lab we had when I was a kid. My parents couldn't keep him home, his neck was way bigger than his head and he'd get loose. He visited everywhere, and people kept biscuits for him. He'd go to the school, and the lunch ladies gave him the empty cans to lick out. ...back in the olden days in a little hick town