Need some advice about my foster puppy (long)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some advice about my foster puppy (long)

Jessica.B is offline Member

DefaultNeed some advice about my foster puppy (long)

I just recently started working with a local Labrador rescue and I just got my first foster this past Tuesday. He is a 4 month old black male lab. His name is Skeeter. My own puppy is a 6 month yellow female lab. Skeeter was an owner surrender at a shelter and was rescued by the lab rescue and he was placed with another foster for the last month. This foster is 1 of their 2 certified trainers and they needed him to take in another rescue that needed training so I am now fostering Skeeter. Which makes me at least the third person he has been with in his 4 short months of life.

I am trying not to get attached to him but he is making it so hard not too. He follows me everywhere and always wants to be by my side. He is the complete opposite from Princess. Princess is extremely hyper and Skeeter is very calm and mellow. He just loves being my side. I took him with my to my friends house the other night for almost 2 hours and he sat right by me the whole time. He is scared to get into the car though. I have taken him 4 places with me. Each time he starts to pull really hard away from the car and I have to pick him and put him on the seat. And he is scared the whole time riding in the car. I am wondering if this has to do with him going to the shelter and then the first foster and now with me. And that is pulling at my heart and making this worse. I don't want him to be scared.

He is scared of loud noises too. At his first foster he slept in the crate in the garage with the other dogs at night so his first night here I put him in the crate in my living room and he whined off and on. The next night I bought another crate for my room so he could sleep in there with us and now he is perfectly happy at night and everything has been going good. He plays with Princess and Princess plays with him but I am concerned that Princess might be feeling jealous that he is here and getting attention from me.

Tomorrow is the adoption event that the rescue is holding and I told them I would bring Skeeter. I am so scared that he is going to be adopted and I already know it is going to hurt a lot. He does deserve the best family and he is the sweetest little guy ever and so of course someone is going to want him. I am just not sure if it would be right for Princess if I was to keep Skeeter. She is only 6 months old and everything I am reading says I need to wait until she is a couple years old to add a second dog to our family.

I only want to do what is right for both Princess and for Skeeter. I want Princess to be happy and I want Skeeter to be happy. But I don't know what to do. In my heart I want to keep Skeeter but also I don't want to do wrong by Princess. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I want to keep fostering too and is this how each one is going to be???? I didn't think it would be this bad!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

It is hard but you get used to it. I just found one of my puppys a home and it was hard to let him go but he is in a faboulous family adn I can see him when ever I want. Thanks for helping rescue by the way.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

ok so, big picture, do you want two puppies right now? (with all the extra work and that)? forget this puppy as an individual - can you see yourself day to day with two puppies (your girl is still young and will need much more one on one training in the next while)

If yes, then keep him.

If no, get him adopted! your girl will get over it. Plus, if you keep two puppies can you realistically keep working on a rescue? (two puppies is a handful so it might be awhile before you can commit to taking in a foster). So adopting him out to a family that love him means you can take home another foster - saving another life.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

oh - i have had a few fosters. the day i get an application I usually get that icky feeling. the "oh yeah" feeling. but once we find the right home I start making my peace with it. the day of the exchange is hard so I try to plan something for right after. but I move on quickly. I
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

I think if Skeeter was as hyper as Princess then having 2 puppies right now would be difficult but since they are so different then it actually hasn't been that hard. It is still a lot of work though! BUT I know that Princess does need more of my time with training. I really want to continue fostering but if I had 2 puppies plus a toddler then I don't see that happening. It would be awesome if whoever ends up adopting Skeeter lived close and I could see him still. I also don't want to 2 dogs this close in age. I would prefer for them to be a few years apart. I guess I did need to take a step back and stop viewing Skeeter as an individual and instead look at the whole picture. Fostering is important to me right now and that is why I decided to do it instead of adopting a 2nd dog. I just honestly didn't think it would be this hard with my 1st one. I have to do what is best for both of them and that is not adopting Skeeter myself. I will have something planned for tomorrow after the adoption event so I can keep occupied if he goes home with a new family tomorrow. Thanks guys!

Dani is offline Senior Member

just think about how many other dogs you can help through fostering. If you can't let them go, then you shouldn't foster. Sorry.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

I know, Dani. I am hoping that it will get easier. I didn't think I would get so attached to Skeeter. He was my first foster and he did get adopted yesterday. It was bittersweet for sure. But I know that if I get too attached to every single foster then I won't be able to foster and I want to foster and help as many as I can. Tanya really helped me with it though. I had to step back and look at the whole picture and do what's best for everyone. That is when I was okay with it all and I am happy Skeeter was adopted.

I might be getting my 2nd foster this week. I will know more tomorrow. I think as long as I continue to look at the whole picture and not the individual dog then it will be fine. Its very rewarding to give all your love and help them find their forever home. And bittersweet at the same time.

one other thing you need to consider is the foster's affect on your current dog. I'm not sure that I would foster with a puppy in the house. There's too much that the puppy could pick up behavior wise that could be bad. But I wish you nothing but continued success. I didn't start rescuing until Rider was 2, and by then he was trained enough to help my fosters be balanced dogs.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie

Member Since 6/2003

Thank you. That is something I did think about before I started. I just thought it doesn't hurt to try and if it ends up not being a good idea for Princess right now then I will need to hold off on any future fosters. At least till Princess is older. I did start training classes with her 2 weeks after getting her and we've just finished our last class of the puppy classes. Now I want to go into some intermediate classes with Princess. You're right though that I definitely do not want her picking up on any bad habits. She isn't perfect right now but it could be worse and I don't want that.

I am concerned about my next potential foster though. The lab is a 9 year old chocolate female. With Princess being only 6 months I don't think this would be a good match and I am planning on talking to the lady about my concerns today. I just don't think it would be fair to either one if I had to keep them separated. I know the rescue lady is going today to assess the 9 year old and then will let me know and she may already decide its not a good match for me.

What worries you about a 9 year old?
    Dani, Rider & Rookie

Member Since 6/2003

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast