Anyone know? Thanks!

Thread: Anyone know? Thanks!

Iluvmydogs is offline Junior Member

DefaultAnyone know? Thanks!

Hi,

I have a 4 year old Yellow Lab and she has an issue with licking her leg right above the paw. We have had tests done and nothing ever comes up as a problem. I have found that the licking usually only happens in the colder dryer months and by spring she stops and everything is fine. The going theory was that it had to do dryness.

Anyways I have noticed she started licking the spot again and now has a sore. The spot in question though has become a big bump. I am obviously going to take her the vet but I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this.

Thanks so much.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

There are so many things that can cause this - from contact allergies to something in the environment to behavioral obsessive licking. You really need to start with a skin scraping to determine if there is anything medically wrong with her skin (like a fungus or something).

If you do believe that it is just dry skin, adding fish oil (or sardines) to her diet should help some.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

bett is offline Senior Member

hot spot, boredom, ocd,.....

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

"Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Nallah06 is offline Senior Member

Sounds like a lick granuloma to me too.

Nallah does this to her feet when she's stressed. Usually her back feet. Morgan had lick granulomas on her feet after she got sent up here on transport for adoption.

We ended up having to wrap Nallah's back feet during the day and we let them air at night. They finally healed up after she left them alone long enough. Morgans healed up on their own after she settled into the new home and realized...she was home.

Redirect her to something else when she licks, and if necessary use bitter apple spray. DO NOT use bitter apple if the lick spot is open.
    Loved by Kelley
    Nallah (8/6/2006)
    Morgan (5/17/2008)
    Remi (7/3/2010)