My dog got bit :(
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My dog got bit :(

Corduroy is offline Member

DefaultMy dog got bit :(

Hey. Corduroy got attacked today. It was a friend's female dog that bit him, a boxer. She said she was friendly but after the fight said she had also attacked another dog before. He has small wounds on his ear, in his ear, and on his forehead. My friend was very apologetic and said she would pay for any vet fees. He didn't need to see the vet. There wasn't much blood. The vet said to just clean it and keep an eye on it.

I am so heartbroken. He was really obedient to me when this all happened. He was also on a gentle leader and couldn't really defend himself. For so many reasons I am sooo sad about this. I worked hard at my dog's late socialization. He was always apprehensive around other dogs.... and then recently he started getting much better and trusting other dogs more (he's now 2). Things were just starting to get really good with us and other dogs. Now that this has happened I hope he doesn't turn fearful and aggressive himself.

I was just looking for some support. I also have a question. Why, as dog owners, are we so not willing to look at our dog for what and who they really are? Aggressive dog owners tend to say.... "he just wants to say HI!" or, "He only had an issue with that one dog!" or, "He's friendly... maybe he was just scared!!" I am not saying every dog owner is like that but.... I have seen this so many times.

After seeing a dog clamp down on my dog the way this one did....... just makes me realize how clueless some owners can be regarding their dog's true behavior and how dangerous that can be. She wouldn't let him go---- it wasn't a quick bite it was a clamp liek she was a pit bull-- she clamped hard and wouldn't let go and even shook him as she growled. So fu&#ed up.

And also, has anyone of you been here before? How long until YOU got over it? This happened today and I feel like, big surprise, I'm more traumatized than he is. Any support and advice will be appreciated, thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

sorry your boy got bit. hope he is feeling ok now.

it happens. it sucks, but you really need to get over it and get your dog engaged with other dogs asap. dog's rarely turn aggressive after one bite (yes it can happen but...very rare). most dogs bounce back. you just need to get him back out with other dogs as soon as he is physically ok.

I have had fosters that cowered at the dog park the first few visits. as long as the other dogs were not bullying/picking on the, I let them be. let htem deal with it. One dog was fine after a few visits, another took a week or so (and thought tentiave/submissive when meeting other dogs quickly comes around). the important part is to not cater to their fear. let them deal with it. like I said, as long as they are not being bullied, on worries. And even if they are, if the other owner is addressing it and they come around, hey, that's fine too.

at this point, as hard as it is for you, the worst thing to do is become nervous around other dogs and be tense - your dog will sense that. make apoint to meet as many new dogs as possible. it can be in cotrolled places like a training hall (a local dog trainning centers offers doggy playdates and such - maybe something like that is available where you are).

I have been around dog fights. teh only time it involved my own foster - my foster was the one attacking (go figure). I was very upset and my heart was beating, I had to remove myself from the situation as soon as it was possible and "get over it" myself. it happens. it happens all the time at the dog park.
    Last edited by Tanya; 05-13-2011 at 08:23 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I told the story about when HersheyK got attacked. She has changed since that icident, 2 years ago now. But the change is becoming less noticable, and wasn't the worst thing in the world. I will share just for purpose of letting you know how one dog reacted.

No change in her love of people or willingness to approach. Quite hestitant to approach a new dog on first meeting, on guard if the other dog approaches her. Sniff of her butt gets met with a sit by her. Any attempt to mount or aggressive play initiated by another dog gets met with a viscuous sounding, looking snarl and that is the end of it. She sets her limit. She plays with the dogs she knows, and will slowly warm up to the new dog and then play with him/her. She is never aggressive to other dogs, only in setting her limit with a new dog. The dogs we meet tend to understand what I think she is trying to tell them. It happens less often this spring. I tend to believe that the attack changed her, in a way I would have rathered not happen. But she seems happy to play with other dogs, she just has to gain some trust of each one.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Tanya and Hershey. I'm just disturbed. I agree with you both. I think just because it happens "all the time at the dog park" doesn't mean it's healthy behavior for dogs tho. I think that if a dog is aggressive towards other dogs then he/she does not belong at a dog park....... but I pet people still bring their aggressive dogs tho! This wasn't just a bite it was an attack... she just would not let go. She clearly has dog aggression issues. Someone tried to pull her off and my dog's head got pulled too... and then she still wouldn't let go ahhhhhh... this Friday the 13th sucked! I don't cater to any fear- he's not feaful. He never backs down from other dogs... he used to be very tense. He was starting to get over so quickly but now who knows. I feel bad for how many wounds he has inside his ear...... and the one of his forehead was bleeding a bit too.

Hershey Kiss, when your dog was attacked... what happened? Was she injured badly? Was it another female or male? I'm just wondering. Thank you for sharing.

SharonaZamboni is offline Senior Member

Sorry to hear about the bite. I bet you're feeling worse about it than Corduroy is!

I bet you are right- I hope! LOL! Thanks!

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I am sorry to hear this. It is horrible, scary and all those other fearful things. I hate it when people don't look after their own dog. I can't say what is best to do.
    Unfortunately black dogs seem to be the villians in the dog world. I have been through it with Kass and Ernie and as Ed says it does change them and not for the better. I tried to minimise the fear with other dogs, by trying to feel positive when were out. I think ifI feel nervous the dog picks it up, so I only went to the dog park when I knew that dog wasn't there and made them feel relaxed and fun. I did take them back as I didn't want them fearful of going there or any other community places.

Erns now tend to..I will get you before you get me attitude and this has been very hard to deal with. I try not to put him in a situation he feel the need to do this. He is better with female dogs. For me it was working out the fears and not pampering them, but guiding to other behaviour. If that makes sense.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

bett is offline Senior Member

very scary.
    i dont know what you mean by "small wounds" but anything more than a scratch (like if it pierced the skin) needs to be seen, as dog bites can easily get infected.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Corduroy,

One, (it happens at the DP all the time). It happensw, at our DPs, but not all the time. We do a pretty good job self policing ourselves, however we have had a couple cases where we had to bring in authorities.

Hershey's case. It was an attack, from a dog that was 100 yards away when SHE ran straight for Hershey on an attack mission. A man and a woman that were closer to the two dogs pulled them apart. HK was primarily in a defensive mode, the Husky had already put two holes in her ear, and was holding on to her neck.

It is a long story about the Husky rescue. The dog and owner had their permit revoked and the owner can't get a new one for 3 years. The dog will never be allowed back. On the good side, the dog has a new home on a farm. The reports we get from someone familiar is the the dog is doing fine.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

hunterchrome is offline Senior Member

It has happened to me. My bf and I were out at a lake walking the dogs and a big lab came down the path towards us. He approached us, ofcourse his owner no where to be found. My dogs started barking as they were on harnesses being held away from the dog. There was a disagreement between the lab and one of my dogs and the lab bit poor Chrome's ear. there was blood everywhere even though it was a tiny knick. The owner was apologetic but I was tramatized. Since that day Chrome has been leash reactive but is slowly getting over it, almost a year later. I still walk on the other side of the street when I see a dog coming to avoid any arguments. I think your situation happens more often than it should
    Hunter & Chrome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast