Just Labradors banner

Even my gray hair turned gray

2K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  NM Lab Lover 
#1 ·
Buddy went on an adventure about noon today. I had Jack, Buddy and the foster Clemson out in the backyard. Jack was retrieving, Buddy and Clemson were playing chase and just chillin. Clemson saw a rabbit or a Shadow or something and took followed by Buddy. As soon as they started running their ears shut off. They were under the the far end of the neighbor's deck and they just dematerialized. They were there and then they were gone. Not even a swirl of Lab hair. I ran around to the front of the house, and the street was empty. Eerily quiet empty. I went back around the neighbor's house, hollered for them and then went back out front and here comes Clemson from the neighbor's two doors down. I put him in his crate in the house and went out the front door leaving Jack inside.

I looked where Clemson had come from and was walking back to the house and just happened to see Buddy two blocks down crossing the street. I shouted his name and come here but he started sniffing and disappeared. I got in the car and drove down to where I thought I saw him last. No Buddy

Drove around the block and headed back toward the house thinking maybe he would go back to the house. No Buddy. But Jack was sitting at the curb in the drive way looking extremely annoyed. When he saw me heading for the car he went out the back door and around to the front but I had left him. Got him into the car. He forgave me. I think. At least he only huffed at me once. Happened to see Buddy sniffing a back yard along the marsh. By the time I got out of the car and back to where he had been he was gone. No noise.

Kept looking. called Lab Rescue, and about an hour later Lab Rescue called. A guy just happened to have taken the day off and saw Buddy in the athletic field across from his house and called him over and called the number on the tag. I picked him up within five minutes of the call. He had traveled about a mile on the map but knowing Buddy it was probably closer to three. He was completely soaked but not dirty, and was rather chagrined when he saw me.

We are really fortunate and blessed. Buddy crossed two streets that people travel about 30 miles an hour, and was within 50 yards of a major road where it is not unusual for traffic to be going 40-45 miles and hour. At least he is home safe.
LD

See less See more
#10 ·
BoatDog How in the world did they get out of the yard! Bet you were scared to death Andy - and bet he can't figure out why!
We have a sort of pie shape property. Fence along one side is neighbor fence. The property butts up against a tidal creek and the other side and the front are open.
Foster had been on a drag line. Did not have it on him today. Usually he stays pretty close and has to have me in sight or he comes looking for me. Buddy does too.
Today foster tracked a critter and took off. Buddy likes to play chase. By the time I got to where they had been at the far corner they were gone.
I was not as much scared as disappointed and concerned the little chits would either tangle with a critter in the marsh, one of the large dogs down the street, or get hit by a car.

Buddy was completely soaked when I picked him up. The guy said he must have gone swimming. Could be in one of the creeks, the marsh or one of the pools in the neighborhood. Or he got hosed down by someone.

Buddy was very contrite when I leashed him up.

#11 ·
Glad all is ok.
There is nothing like that sick feeling, heart pounding fear of looking for your companion. Then they come in as if they have had a wonderful time and all is o.k.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.