Harness- GOOD- No Harness- Bad Puppy
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Harness- GOOD- No Harness- Bad Puppy

rpost7786 is offline Senior Member

DefaultHarness- GOOD- No Harness- Bad Puppy

How long did it take you to not use a harness with your lab/ puppy?? Avery does really well with walking on the harness.... but as soon as you take him off and try to walk him without it he's the most disobedient puppy ever. He's one week shy of being 6 months, I know he's still learning. I was just curious when the loose leash walking is effective without a harness. Or do you still use one when they're older?
    Rachel, Keith, Scarlett & Avery = One happy little Family

"A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A water log stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if your rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he'll give you his. How many people can you say that about? How many people can make you feel rare and pure and special? How many people can make you feel extraordinary?"- John Grogan

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

I have never had Mya in a harness. I HAVE wanted to see how/if she would react one way or the other. She is pretty decent on lead so I just haven't gone any further than "wondering".

nortknee is offline Senior Member

I think it kind of depends on the dog.
    I know my sister's airedale absolutely HATES his harness and actually pulls more when he's wearing it. He tolerated it when he was a puppy, but now that he's just over a year, he pretty much refuses to behave on it entirely.

It kind of sounds like for Avery, harness means job, and so he's more focused while wearing it. Maybe try introducing the leash in the middle of one of your harness walks. If this doesn't work, I'd try doing some obedience training with just the leash on and make that a "job-time" too.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dweck is offline Senior Member

Teach. Avery. To Heel!

See the "Our Best Advice" sticky in the Puppy/Training section.

Kelrobin Cleveland Street Denizen, CGC, RN [Parker]

"Dear George: Remember, no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings. Love, Clarence" -- IAWL Screenplay (1946)

dogmom is offline Senior Member

Have never used a harness. Always used collars and trained from the beginning not to pull.

hmmm I didnt think of that.... So back yard training with the leash on? as in normal training(sit, stay, down etc..) or leash training?? He refuses to listen while the leash is on. This could get interesting!!

"A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A water log stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if your rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he'll give you his. How many people can you say that about? How many people can make you feel rare and pure and special? How many people can make you feel extraordinary?"- John Grogan

It's not always the pulling off the harness... It's putting the brakes on and wanting to go in the direction HE wants. He know's the come command or let's go and does it perfect with the harness on. Off is a nightmare??

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

He' not going to improve unless you train him to walk on a collar.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

I agree with using the harness as a training device, not a controlling device. I've only used the harness on one of my dogs (Paddy) but I really didn't know at the time (15 years ago) how to use it properly. As a result, Paddy was never a breeze on lead unless we were on a walk route he knew well and there were no distractions. You live and learn. The next time around (Seamus) I started those commands and TRAINING with a flat collar from the get-go. It paid off.

Seamus and Flynn

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Never a harness. A harness is meant for pulling and is not appropriate when teaching a dog to walk loose on leash.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast