Just Labradors banner

Happy Birthday, Badger!

2K views 27 replies 26 participants last post by  Wendy B. 
#1 ·
Today our newest addition, Badger, is 9 years old. Yes, he was a Halloween puppy.

After a shakey start, he's doing very well with us. He's lost about 1.5 pounds (it's slow because he can't exercise vigorously), and he's really fitting in with the pack.

Lately, he's been initiating play with the other dogs. When I saw him initiating play (or trying to) with Sally, I knew he felt at home here.

He's learning our routines around here....where he's allowed or not allowed, sitting "in his place" to wait to be fed, not rushing out the door when it's opened.

We've been to 2 dock diving events since we've had him, and he's proven to be a wonderful traveler. He's very, very healthy and to me, doesn't look 9 years old. No gray at all.

He's a real lover and had no hesitation about sticking his head in your lap for some pats and scratches. Badger sure seems to totally enjoy the attention he's getting around here.

Yep....old Badgie Boy has been a wonderful addition to our team!

Happy Birthday, Keepsakes's Red Badge of Courage, our Badger!

See less See more
#6 ·
Happy 9th one, Badger! Kind of fun to have a Halloween pup!
His face is just adorable and I'm so glad he is fitting in so well, Nancy.

#12 ·
So often around here, they'll be side by side and have the same look on their faces and look exactly alike! Even their personalities are very, very similar. I can see Badger 6 or 7 years ago being exactly like Hoppy.

Sally, on the other hand, must take 100% after her mother. She neither looks nor acts anything like Badger. You would have to look at her pedigree to believe they are father-daughter.

#22 ·
Happy Birthday Badger. I must have missed that he was a Keepsakes's dog. When I first saw his picture and saw his coloring it occurred to me that he was as lovely a red fox as some of the dogs on their web site. (I had looked at them when we were looking for our labs. It was just that PA is way far away from NM and I didn't feel comfortable about buying a pup from a breeder I couldn't talk face-to-face with.) He is absolutely beautiful and does not look 9 years old. I am so happy that he has made himself at home and is getting into your routine. He will enjoy retirement and get to enjoy his "kids" too. What more could a doggie-dad ask for. :)

#24 ·
Happy Birthday Badger. I must have missed that he was a Keepsakes's dog. When I first saw his picture and saw his coloring it occurred to me that he was as lovely a red fox as some of the dogs on their web site.
I probably didn't post that he was originally a Keepsake's lab. My breeder got him when he was a pup (I think), so I just consider him one of her labs. But yes, she got him from Keepsakes. And they do have absolutely beautiful dogs!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.