Hills Prescription Diet Brand - your thoughts?

Thread: Hills Prescription Diet Brand - your thoughts?

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

DefaultHills Prescription Diet Brand - your thoughts?

Specifically the T/D Dental formula http://www.hillspet.com/products/pd-...ealth-dry.html the vet recommended this for Diesel because the tartar just seems to attack his teeth.

I will be making the extra effort to get to those back teeth I had been missing before, should I change his food to this dental formula?

I don't like the chicken-by-product or chicken flavour ingredients, I don't thinks Hills is a quality food, but of course it is pushed in my vet's office. I'm really close to no, just wondering if anyone can see any reason why we should use this food.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

I know that some dogs just have worse teeth than others, but do you give your dog bones to chew on?

labby is offline Senior Member

Well if dogs actually chewed their food, the theory of this food might actually work. However, dogs don't really chew their food so I can't see where this food would make a difference. I think gimmick. I don't have problems with CBP. It's organ meat for the most part.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoezoe is offline Senior Member

What does he chew on for teeth cleaning? Any nylabones, marrow bones, anything? Also how often are you brushing? I'd try to be consistent with that, if he is slated for having teeth problems.
    Not sure what to tell ya about the diet. My Zena girl at a prescription diet by Hills for a month or two after having obstruction bowel surgery; but other than that, never had to use them.
    Like Laura said, they don't actually chew their food...at least mine don't.

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    Well if dogs actually chewed their food, the theory of this food might actually work. However, dogs don't really chew their food so I can't see where this food would make a difference. I think gimmick. I don't have problems with CBP. It's organ meat for the most part.
    LOL that is a great argument & so true for my Diesel. Whether he is hand fed one kibble at a time or he gets a whole bowl of it... there is not alot of chewing involved! I am still baffled why he had such a bad buildup of tartar that the vet originally thought he'd worn off all his enamel. Maybe as I wasn't getting those far back teeth & he just inhales his food, some was not getting down & just sitting in the back of his cheeks??

So, CBP still has the required nutrients & protein that whole chicken would? I thought I had to avoid foods with CPB as it wasn't good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by zoezoe View Post
    What does he chew on for teeth cleaning? Any nylabones, marrow bones, anything? Also how often are you brushing? I'd try to be consistent with that, if he is slated for having teeth problems.
    Not sure what to tell ya about the diet. My Zena girl at a prescription diet by Hills for a month or two after having obstruction bowel surgery; but other than that, never had to use them.
    Like Laura said, they don't actually chew their food...at least mine don't.
    I wasn't brushing him daily... though I should have been... He gets nylabones now & then, though before the dental vet realized it was just a tartar buildup & we thought the enamel was worn off & teeth broken she said nylabones are a big culprit for this issue.

I'm torn. I know it is natural for dogs to chew on bones (safe ones) but I always worry he will crack his teeth. I cringe when I hear about the antlers & marrow bones as chews for dogs because they are so hard! He's my first puppy so I am perhaps being overly cautious. If I brush daily does he still need hard chews? What are the benefits other than it "brushing" their teeth?

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_Dawg View Post
    I am still baffled why he had such a bad buildup of tartar
    Some dogs, just like people, have this. No matter what you do, it's gonna happen.

So, CBP still has the required nutrients & protein that whole chicken would? I thought I had to avoid foods with CPB as it wasn't good enough.
    Common misconception.

It's not meat, but the organ matter from the chicken, the guts, liver, heart, brains, intestines, stomach etc. I think this is a human thing, because those organs are always the first to be eaten by wild canids, wild felines, and pretty much any other. They don't go for the 'meaty haunch', they go for the gut and pull out all that gooey stuff and eat it.
    Meat byproducts in dog food by law do not include hair, horn, teeth or hooves, feathers or manure. It does include organs, including the lungs, spleen, intestines, brains, kidneys and liver, and in the case of chicken byproducts will include the head and feet. About 50 percent of a slaughtered cow will not go for human use, most of this leftover goes into the pet food industry, not because it's unhealthy. How many of us rush out to the grocery store to eat a daily meal with tripe (stomach), chitlins (intestines), and scrambled brains? Believe it or not, while organ meats are gross to think of eating to humans, they are also extremely high in natural vitamins and minerals.

From the FDA site:
    Some people prefer to pass up animal by-products, which are proteins that have not been heat processed (unrendered) and may contain heads, feet, viscera and other animal parts not particularly appetizing. But protein quality of by-products sometimes is better than that from muscle meat.

Laura

Thanks for the info about CBP, Laura. You are right, it seems to be a common misconception. Silly, common sense should have eluded me to the fact that organs are filled with vitamins & minerals.

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

Just to add on, I changed my dogs diet from Eukanuba Labrador to Hills Prescription Diet j/d (special for joint support) and I´ve been very happy with Hills. Both Dogs love it, eat it like it´s the most delicious thing in the world, I keep their weights under control, they have shinny nice coats and the "residuals" are easy to pick aftwerwards. In my experience Hills Prescription is as good as Eukanuba or Proplan (I have fed all three, I think they are all good)

The only problem is that it is not sold everywhere like Proplan... so when I run out of food on a sunday evening I´m in big trouble.