Onions??

Thread: Onions??

javasmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultOnions??

Hey guys,

I know onions are toxic to dogs, but what happens to them if they eat them?
    Last night my son and I had subs for dinner....with onions. We ate on the couch while watching tv. Apparently, a piece of onion must have fallen out of my son's sub and went under the couch without us knowing. Java was sniffing and going nuts later to get something out from under there and she did. I saw it was a piece of onion, so I tried to take it out of her mouth, but she swallowed it before I could get it. It wasn't a huge piece, but still....
    Will she be ok?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

I doubt one piece of onion off a sub will cause any ill effects. Depending on the dogs weight, I think it would take a sizeable amount of onion before there is any real danger. My Lexi has gotten little bits of onions & thus far no ill effects from them.

Dogs and cats lack the enzyme necessary to properly digest onions and this could result in gas, diarrhea, or severe gastrointestinal distress. If large amounts of onion are ingested or onions are a daily part of your dog's diet, the red blood cells may become fragile and break apart.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

joflake is offline Senior Member

I agree. I don't think one little piece is going to hurt her.