REALLY NEED ADVICE!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: REALLY NEED ADVICE!

ExclamationREALLY NEED ADVICE!

Sorry for reposting this here but I didn't get any responses in the Nutri section. This Chat section seems to be more active. So I am hoping some of you guys will respond. Thank you in advance!!!

Hello!

I am new to this site and am glad I found it. Hope to get some helpful info.

I have a 3,5 months choco lab and recently I have tried to switch him to the raw diet. At first he was fine, but then a few days later he was getting diarrhea that would not stop for several days. I was supposed to take him for his last shot of DHP/PP/Bordatella and didn't want him to have the shot done while having diarrhea (too much stress on the body as it is). So I went and bought him dry food - Wellness Just for puppy. He was previously on Science Diet but after I read what it is made of, I refuse to go back to that food. Anyway, he's been back on Wellness for a few days now and at first his stool went back to solid (well almost) but today and yesterday he has been having diarreah again. I still took him to get his shot today. He is playful and all in good spirit, so I am not concerned about him being seriously sick.

However, I am wondering what to do now. It seems that I either disturbed his digestive system too bad with introducing him to raw meat/eggs, etc or that he is just too sensitive to Wellness. I am not sure what to do at this point. Afraid to switch to a diff food, what if it will mess him up even more? Or should I wait it out and give him time to adjust to this new dry food? I also suspect that it may be due to the higher caloric content ( read that Science Diet had 357 kcal per cup and Wellness has 450). But then I am feeding him the amount that is the requirement on the package - 3 1/2 cups a day, was on 3 cups for Science but since then he has gained weight.

Sorry for such a long post, but I really need a good advice and wanted you guys to know all the details of what is happening.

Thank you in advance!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlab dad is offline Senior Member

There are numerous people here who feed raw and should hopefully be able to give some good advice on that subject.

Hopefully the breeders and other people with puppy experience can give you some feeding guidelines. (I don't have any puppy experience so I really don't know for sure, but 3.5 cups x 450 calories seems like a LOT of food to me.)

Good luck. Hope you can get everything under control quickly.

Bella

I'd feed him chicken and white rice until the diarrhea subsides. It will give his system a chance to recover. If it continues more than a day or two on the rice and chicken, I'd have him checked at the vet. (I worked in veterinary medicine prior to having my kids and this is the diarrhea diet we recommended) I don't have any experience feeding raw, however, Wellness is a great food choice. So after the stools start to form again (should happen quick on rice, it really bulks the stools up) then add a little dry food to his rice diet and gradually (over a week or two) transition to dry food. Is it possible that you made these food changes too abruptly and messed with his digestive system? I hope he feels better soon.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Sorry for reposting this here but I didn't get any responses in the Nutri section. This Chat section seems to be more active. So I am hoping some of you guys will respond. Thank you in advance!!!
    Lab Chat is more active than Lab Health & Nutrition but I did reply to your post there.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Add canned pumpkin to his diet, not the pie filling, real pumpkin. Use about a tablespoon full at each feeding. It will firm up poop quickly.

Thank you for all of your replies! I gave him a little less this afternoon and will give him rice as suggested for dinner. Even though I am not a fan of cooked food since I think the cooking kills all the nutrients needed for dog, but I think rice diet is useful in this case.

Yes, I think you are right and I made a big mistake switching him to raw so abruptly. He took it well for a few days and just I got carried away and added chicken on top of beef. Plus, I am such an idiot, now that I am thinking, I pureed some veggies for him and mixed with the beef! Do you think his digestive system will be able to recover???

I have been trying to find canned pumpkin with NO luck! I am in Los Angeles, any chance you guys can guide me to a store that might sell it. Maybe Whole Foods, since it is all natural foods store....Also, is it possible to give him a raw pumpkin instead of canned or maybe even cook it in water so it is softer? Or does it only have to be from a can?

Thank you once again!!!

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

I'm no expert, but I would think if you cooked pumpkin yourself and mashed it up somewhat, it would have the same effect. It is the fiber in the pumpkin that does the job.
    I think that I'd do the white rice for a day or so before I added the pumpkin.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

You should do chicken and rice (I use ground chicken I cook in a pan with water - basically boiling it) which will calm the upset in his gut. Any change in diet has to be VERY gradual. If you feed him kibble one day and switch to raw (or a different variety of kibble) the dog's gut is going to revolt. (Some people here have experienced otherwise - but more will develop diarreah than not).

The chicken and rice should continue for a few days until you get a firmer poop. Addiing the pumpkin is a good route too - but I don't know that it will calm the gut down.

Post on the raw diet over in that forum. I know that there are certain methods to introducing and certain types of foods to do at certain times. They can help you.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

When mine have had digestive problems, I give them boiled chicken and white rice with some canned pumpkin mixed in. It's always worked.

Libby's canned pumpkin....every grocery store should have it. (Not the pumpkin pie mix, but the pumpkin.) It will be probably be near the canned vegetables or sometimes near the baking section with the canned pie fillings.

I've also used Immodium or Pepto Bismol if it's bad. Those work really well also.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

canned pumpkin is usually in with the baking supplies, flour, sugar, pie fillings.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast