Rough "coughs" instead of barks, help!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rough "coughs" instead of barks, help!

DefaultRough "coughs" instead of barks, help!

Hi,

Lucy is about 1 1/2 yrs old and for the last 2 weeks my girlfriend has had her on a lead with a choke collar because she keeps digging out of our yard.

She's been barking fine up until tonight. Her barks turned into a cough-like wheezing bark and she breathes like this whenever she gets excited now. Obviously something is wrong and I'm extremely worried but can't afford a vet bill...

Any advice? I'm worried it may be her windpipe as she doesn't seem to be in pain but has trouble breathing. Could something be stuck? Or could she have collapsed it by pulling on her lead/collar too much?

Please respond quickly..she breathes normally if she's not being active.

(Reposted here instead of Health/Nutrition suggested by a senior member)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

When you say your girlfriend has had Lucy on a lead to prevent her from digging out of your yard---do you mean that she has been tied out with a choke chain? If so, that is a big no-no.
    Choke chains, if not properly used can damage the trachea. They are a training collar and should never, ever be used instead of a regular collar.
    Sounds like a vet visit is in order. And in the future try a no slip collar.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

sarah is offline Senior Member

i already replied to this in the other thread. Tying your dog up on a chain outside with a choke collar is disgusting. What on earth is your problem?
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

SeaWolfLabs is offline Senior Member

Take the dog to the vet and don't ever use a choke chain unsupervised...they can cause serious injury or even death.
    The dog needs to be evaluated right away.

Aidan- UCH Kelrobins Yellow Brick Road aka/ The PorkChop

Seamus Lab is offline Senior Member

This has me really concerned. I hope you will take her to the Vet right away. Please let us know how you make out with her.

Samson is offline Senior Member

IT also sounds like Kennel Cough but a trip to the vet will set your mind at rest.

I used a choke chain when I first got a Lab but I was soon put off the idea at puppy class.

You can use a half choke but never a choke chain even in training IMO.

Get that pup to the vet !

Seamus Lab is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
    IT also sounds like Kennel Cough but a trip to the vet will set your mind at rest.

I used a choke chain when I first got a Lab but I was soon put off the idea at puppy class.

You can use a half choke but never a choke chain even in training IMO.

Get that pup to the vet !
    That's what has me concerned. My lab had gotten kennel cough when he was young and it turned into pneumonia. We damn near lost him. He was in the hospital for almost a week.

justine is offline Senior Member

I'm not sure of the whole story, but it's hard to diagnose what it could be over the internet.

I would have to agree with everyone else in saying that a vet visit would be a top priority. Do you know when she was last vaccinated for bordetella (kennel cough)? Could be something to do with that.. has she been boarded anywhere at a kennel, vet clinic, etc where she could have caught it?

I don't know what type of choke collar you are using.. if it's just a regular chain choke collar or a prong collar, but as the others have said, it's not the best type of collar, especially on a tie-out.

I prefer using a no-slip collar, such as a martingale, instead of choke collars, but I do not use tie-outs.Y ou'll also find out that a lot of people here are against tie-outs in general.

SeaWolfLabs is offline Senior Member

I'm just hoping this was/is a troll.

Aidan- UCH Kelrobins Yellow Brick Road aka/ The PorkChop

goodguy is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by justine View Post
    I'm not sure of the whole story, but it's hard to diagnose what it could be over the internet.

I would have to agree with everyone else in saying that a vet visit would be a top priority. Do you know when she was last vaccinated for bordetella (kennel cough)? Could be something to do with that.. has she been boarded anywhere at a kennel, vet clinic, etc where she could have caught it?

I don't know what type of choke collar you are using.. if it's just a regular chain choke collar or a prong collar, but as the others have said, it's not the best type of collar, especially on a tie-out.

I prefer using a no-slip collar, such as a martingale, instead of choke collars, but I do not use tie-outs.Y ou'll also find out that a lot of people here are against tie-outs in general.
    They can still catch kennel cough even if they are current on their Bordetella... My dog had it about 2 years ago and she was current on her shot. I have since not wasted our time on that shot... And she has yet to catch it again...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast