Can the sale of "Silver Labs" be considered illegal?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can the sale of "Silver Labs" be considered illegal?

Scout08 is offline Senior Member

DefaultCan the sale of "Silver Labs" be considered illegal?

Today in my business law class we talked about legal sales and illegal sales. Basically, you can not intentionally mislead people about a product you are selling. If you learn something about a product that changes the value of your product after you sell it, you are supposed to let your customer know. Also, if a seller and a buyer are both mistaken about a product and new information is found out after the sale, any contract for that sale is void. So do you guys think that this is a case of the seller doesn't know they aren't selling pure bred labs or are buyers being intentionally misled?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lolabell is offline Member

It may be valid in theory. I think it would also depend on state laws and if there are any pet state laws on the books. It would still fall under the UCC and could be considered a defective product if you think you are purchasing a lab but actually get a lab/weimer mix.
    Lola 2/9/09

Quote Originally Posted by Lolabell View Post
    It may be valid in theory. I think it would also depend on state laws and if there are any pet state laws on the books. It would still fall under the UCC and could be considered a defective product if you think you are purchasing a lab but actually get a lab/weimer mix.
    I am fairly ignorant on breeding topics. I thought that all silver labs had Weimeraner somewhere in their ancestry and that breeders claimed that they are pure bred chocolate labs that were just a different shade of chocolate. Is that incorrect?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

From what I know/read the original silver litter came from a kennel that bred both Labs and Weims. Coincidence? I think not. Some breeders of silvers claim that it is a diluted black gene. There are only 3 colors of recognized labs yellow, chocolate and black. Anyone that is selling a littler as silver is not selling a purebred lab and if they register that litter I believe that would be fraud.

Are you in law school?
    Lola 2/9/09

No, I am in a beginning law class that is required for my business degree.

I was just curious. I took a few law classes because I thought I wanted to go to law school - turns out I didn't It's very interesting!
    Lola 2/9/09

Dani is offline Senior Member

The beginings of silvers had weims in them. But once the recessive gene was introduced to the population, it was just a matter of breeding dogs with the dilute gene to each other to perpetuate the color. Now they are true Labradors, but they didn't start out as such. Mind you there are a few people out there who have just thrown a lab and a weim together...but those are few and far between.

Honestly, there wouldn't be a law issue here...except that the prices are ridiculous and the gene pool is horrid.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

The only law to consider about silver labs, or other mixes being sold for ridiculous prices, is, "There's a sucker born every minute". The breeders in question are fully aware of this law.

Quote Originally Posted by Dani View Post
    The beginings of silvers had weims in them. But once the recessive gene was introduced to the population, it was just a matter of breeding dogs with the dilute gene to each other to perpetuate the color. Now they are true Labradors, but they didn't start out as such. Mind you there are a few people out there who have just thrown a lab and a weim together...but those are few and far between.

Honestly, there wouldn't be a law issue here...except that the prices are ridiculous and the gene pool is horrid.
    I agree the prices are crazy!! So they would be considered full labs now because the weim blood is back so far?
    Lola 2/9/09

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dani View Post

I disagree they ARE NOT TRUE LABRADORS. Just because the purebred Weim and the purebred Lab were bred many generations ago, breeding two pure "silver" labs doesn´t make them True Labradors. It is a new breed, not a True Labrador.

It´s like saying Labradoodles are True Labradors or true poodles just because the original poodle and lab were introduced several generations ago...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast