Just how smart are dogs really?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just how smart are dogs really?

Scout08 is offline Senior Member

DefaultJust how smart are dogs really?

After going to fill out paperwork yesterday to bail out my sister's dog, I asked if I could go back and see her and say hi. They let me go to her kennel and what I saw back there was terrible (as I am sure you all know). The dogs all were barking when I first stepped into the room and as I walked past them, they started to cry. It was like they knew what was coming for them and they were trying to get my attention and then as I walked past, they thought they missed their opportunity to get out. When I got to the dog's cage, she started jumping on me, licking, howling, crying, and going crazy just like she had no clue what to do because she was so happy. Is it possible she remembered me? I had only seen her a few times over the past 2 years, and I did play with her during those visits, but never more than 15-20 minutes. Can dogs sense that they are on death row? It almost seemed like she knew she was scheduled to die and when she saw me, she knew she wouldn't. That was one of the saddest experiences of my life.
    I would like to thank everybody again for helping me bail Freyja (pronounced like Fraya) out of there. Lisa especially has provided lots of support finding a place and donating money so that I can afford to drive Freyja to her foster home and still be able to pay my electricity bill.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Scout08 is offline Senior Member

The other thing I thought about: my fiancee and I found a dog roaming the streets a year and a half ago. When we took her in, she was very friendly, but shy. We kept her for two weeks while we tried to find her family. We ended up giving her to a family with a farm. We had taken her for two walks daily, played with her, and had a great two weeks. Would she remember us a year and a half later?

MikeE is offline Senior Member

She absolutely remembered you. As far as knowing they're on death row? I dunno. I believe they know they're in a very bad place. Their sense of smell tells them so.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

maloneandme is offline Senior Member

Awww. This breaks my heart.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Would the dog recognize you? Depends on the dog. Most of my fosters don't treat me any differently a year after they go to their new homes (though if I visit after 2-3mts they seem to remember me). Some people will say a dog will remember you, but personally I don't think they would. Oh and my fosters are with me 1.5-3.5 months.

Regarding dogs on death row - it is a lonely and saw place for dogs, so they are liekly reacting to the environment more so than realize "their time is up". I don't think dogs know what death is per say (I mean yes they recognize a dog is dead if shown to them but I don't htink they "think" about death)

Did your sister's dog recognize you? Who knows, she could have been reacting to your body language (vibe) and seeking out a friendly person.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I dunno Tanya. I wonder too if they can smell/sense death in a place like that. I guess no one will ever know.

I've read a story recently, supposedly written by a shelter director, describing the reaction of the dogs when they are brought into "the room." Won't share it here, because it's something I really wish I'd never read.

Kudos again to you, Scout, and kudos and thanks to Lisa for being such a big help.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I wonder if they also can tell by your body language. It must be so horrible looking from their eyes to see people walk along looking and walk past.
    I think they do remeber people. Erns still remebers people he hasn't seen in years.

Lisa is amazing. What a lovely thing to do.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

lisa is offline Senior Member

They remember you....

As far as the dog shelter, I don't know if they know "death", but they know they are not in their familiar or happy place, they sense something is wrong...

Fraya won't have that "feeling" anymore, she is on her way to a WONDERFUL life thanks to you

dweck is offline Senior Member

The first Lab I ever fell in love with was the dog of my best friend in grade school. We were inseperable, the three of us. Among his many endearing affectations was that he'd 'smile' when he saw me; he'd raise his upper lip while wagging himself in half, exposing that upper row of teeth.

Years and years later (post-college), I saw them again. The dog was old and gray and hobbling along. But when we pulled over and I ran up to them, he turned and smiled at me as if he'd just seen me the prior day.

Kelrobin Cleveland Street Denizen, CGC, RN [Parker]

"Dear George: Remember, no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings. Love, Clarence" -- IAWL Screenplay (1946)

deidra is offline Senior Member

i know dogs remeber and mourn. When my unles rottweiler sees me she goes insane she sees anyone lese she licks them and then is right back to me. When i leave she whines at the door for 20 minutes. With shelter dogs knowing there on death row i beleive they do. With Bentley he was a hyper dog but also a sad one in th pound. When i walk through the "A" row those dog are sasd and will not even jump on the cage. The dogs not on death row jump and bark and do anything possible to get your attention.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast