Kona is peeing the bed - opinions?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kona is peeing the bed - opinions?

Kimmers is offline Senior Member

DefaultKona is peeing the bed - opinions?

At least 1-2 times a week for the past - oh, 6 weeks or so I'd say, I have had to either wash blankets or completely throw out beds because Her Highness has taken to peeing on her bed! She has been house-trained since about 6 months old, and this habit has just started now! At 6 years old! She doesn't get up and go on the floor, it's always right on the bed. And it's usually during the day when no one is home.

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with her ACL surgery this past fall? She's been ok'd since January to have free run again, so aside from those months of crating and little exercise, her routine hasn't changed! Both dogs get let out in the morning before work, at lunch time and then a nice long run after work with a final potty break before bed. And of course in-between if they need too.

Had her checked for a UTI, and that's not the issue. Any thoughts on what could be triggering this behavior change? It's a new one for me!

Kim & Crew

Beautiful BC, Canada
    JL Member since July 1, 2002

Fear Nothing. Live for Everything.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I was going to suggest an UTI check, but you have done that. Hershey Kisses has what the vet calls Spay Incontinance. She will be in her bed when sleeping. Actually she will pee wherever she is sleeping. We give her DES twice a week and that literally stops it. Apparently it is a substitute for one of those female hormones she isn't making.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

labby is offline Senior Member

Yep, Spayed Bitch Incontinence. Talk to your vet about giving her something like DES. You can also try something homeopathic. I know someone who used something for bed wetting and it worked for them.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

My lab Tucson had the same problem. A very short course of DES cured the problem.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

Kimmers is offline Senior Member

Oh thanks! I will research homeopathic remedies and give our vet a call.
    Is it normal for the problam to occur so many years after the spay with no issues prior to that? I assume it's an age thing?

Kim & Crew

Beautiful BC, Canada
    JL Member since July 1, 2002

Fear Nothing. Live for Everything.

zoezoe is offline Senior Member

yes it is very normal to occur at any age. zena is going through the same thing; she will be 8 or 9 this summer. she is taking 1/2 a chewable Pronin every other day (not a full dosage) and it has gone away. She might even be able to stop this med after a while. I first tried pads and diapers, etc. and it was just very frustrating as she would go everywhere but where the pad was. talk to your vet...it took me weeks to accept she needed something but now we are both happier. i am also putting cranberry pills in with her food and hoping to stop the pronin all together at some point....hoping...but no guarantees.

Callaway is offline Senior Member

That happened to Calli a year after her spay. The vet put her on DES and within 6 months I weaned her off of it. No issues since. Good luck!

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

GinnyR is offline Senior Member

Belle is also taking DES once a week because she was doing the same thing in her sleep. She has been on the meds for 5 years now and no accidents.

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

Our six year old Remi was spayed at two and started DES less than a year later because of urinary incontinence. I'm pleasantly surprised to see that several here have successfully weaned their females off of it. I just HATE them having to take any meds for the rest of their life. Remi is on a once-a-week regimen of DES, maybe I'll try every other week to see.

BTW ... Weds is Remi's DES day. She gets the chew right after breakfast. If I should happen to forget to give it to her, she starts bugging me until I finally realize what she wants. Amazing how these Labs have such precise internal clocks, even on something like a weekly routine.

TBGSAM is offline Senior Member

Tootsie started having accidents almost two years ago. Her vet at the time gave us proin but the possible side effects were too much for my comfort so we put her on cranberry capsules. She hasn't had an accident since unless she has had a big day and slept more then usual without going out.
    Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05, Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast