Fear Stage?

Thread: Fear Stage?

mandaz000 is offline Senior Member

DefaultFear Stage?

I know i've read before that puppies will go through a second fear stage. What is the normal age? Aspen is 8 months and has been getting scared easier lately and I don't know why. She hates the washer and will follow me around when it's on. I know why she hates the washer, it got off balance once and she hasn't liked it since. But it seems like she is a lot more sensitive right now. She will go in the kitchen and hide under the table and sometimes I don't know what triggered it. The weird thing is there is no tail between the legs or anything like that she will just sit under the table looking sad. If i come in the room she will come out but if I'm in a different room and call her she won't budge. She looks so sad... I know I know don't put human emotions on dogs but I feel bad when she does this. I guess it's just new to me because nothing ever seemed to bother her. Even when i first got her she was never scared, now she seems to be getting more and more sensitive. Am I doing something wrong?

Amanda

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

maloneandme is offline Senior Member

Dude! Malone has been going through this too! He's so jittery and sometimes he will jump if something really startles him. I think its part of them growing up, personally and I don't think you're doing anything wrong, imo. If you coddle her - may make it worse and tell her that its OK to be fearful of things.

Thanks, I think Malone and Aspen are about the same age. It's just so weird it started out of no where and she wasn't like this before. I don't coddle her even though I want to. It's so hard not to when she acts like this, but i know it will probably make things worse. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. I hope they get out of this stage fast. I don't like it.

Amanda

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

I found this, no clue if it's right or wrong:
    6 to 14 Months Second Fear Imprint Period or Fear of New Situations Period. Dog again shows fear of new situations and even familiar situations. Dog may be reluctant to approach someone or something new. It is important that you are patient and act very matter of fact in these situations. Never force the dog to face the situation. DO NOT pet the frightened puppy or talk in soothing tones. The puppy will interpret such responses as praise for being frightened. Training will help improve the dog's confidence.
    Toby will be 9 months on the 25th and he also is scared of new things and if a car or truck pulls up in the driveway.

Thanks Shelly. I think that is what i read before but I didn't know if it's pretty common or not.

Amanda

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

yes, Zoe went through it at 9 months. She was afraid of the big, evil trash bin.
    they do grow out of it, but as the article said, in part: act very matter of fact in these situations. Never force the dog to face the situation. DO NOT pet the frightened puppy or talk in soothing tones. The puppy will interpret such responses as praise for being frightened. Training will help improve the dog's confidence.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

The only thing Dozer was afraid of was sewer grates. I'm not sure if he has out grown that fear or not because the trails we run on are grate free and the sidewalks/roads are covered in snow right now.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

labby is offline Senior Member

Sounds about the right age. Whatever you do, do NOT comfort her. Ignore the behavior otherwise you'll be reassuring her that she is doing the right thing by being scared. I tend to laugh and call them silly then sing to them in a silly voice to jolly them out of their fear of whatever it is that sets them off. Our first instinct is to say, "poor baby, it's okay." Well it's not okay and if you continuously tell the dog that the fear will become permanent.

Laura

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

I remember that stage well. Saba was afraid of going into my car. Every Saturday and Sunday I would take him (and still do) for long walks on trails etc. and that made it difficult. I used rescue remedy on him but not sure how much that helped. I would bribe him with treats, walk around the car with doors open, in and out at his pace, let him smell the car, smell the car seats that kind of thing. I tried to keep the same routine but a few times he didn't get in it and it was okay, we went for a walk around the neighbourhood instead. He was okay when he was in it and we were driving. Eventually it went away. I think it lasted about 2 months for him.
    Last edited by Neska74; 02-15-2011 at 07:44 PM.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Here is a pretty good link to fear stages & importance of socialization: Developmental Stages

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014