Look for crying out loud!!! (VENT ahead)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Look for crying out loud!!! (VENT ahead)

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

AngryLook for crying out loud!!! (VENT ahead)

Lexi & I walk every morning, in pretty much any conditions. It is now dark at 6:30 am when we head out & on mornings like today (damp & rainy in the NE), it stays dark through our entire walk.

Am I expecting to freaking much for people to look behind them before backing out of their driveways??

In the last 2 weeks, I have had 3 different people nearly back into Lexi & I. Now, I dress accordingly for the dark, I have on a light jacket, have a light hanging around my neck, a flashing light on the leash & Lexi is decked out in a bright yellow reflective jacket. So it is clearly not us being hard to see.

I pay attention so if I see someone getting in a car I will not cross behind them, but again it is dark, so I may not notice them. One in particular, came out of the house, jumped into his car, started it immediately backed out. I swear he never he checked to see if someone might be on the sidewalk. With kids walking to get school buses (most dressed in all dark clothes), I would hope drivers would be more attentive, but I guess I am expecting too much here.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

The same thing happens to me. If they get too close, I kick the back of the car. A girl almost hit me about a month ago (she would have hit me if I hadn't kicked the car). She heard something hit the car, and thought she hit me. She jumped out, apologized, and admitted that she wasn't paying attention.

I know it isn't a visibility thing with me either because I wear light colored clothes, and a bright red, flashing light around my arm. Bauer wears a lighted collar, a reflective vest, and we use a reflective leash. We are so lit up that when my son and his friend were driving up behind us one night, his friend said, "Who is this freakshow walking down your road?" Kyle said, "It's my mom."
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

Some people just have no courtesy for anyone else in the rest of the world.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

The same thing happens to me. If they get too close, I kick the back of the car.
    You get close enough to a moving vehicle to kick it? Yikes.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

k8show is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BauersMom View Post
    We are so lit up that when my son and his friend were driving up behind us one night, his friend said, "Who is this freakshow walking down your road?" Kyle said, "It's my mom."
    I don't mind looking silly if it's going to keep me safe. I wear a headlamp and a bright t-shirt when Boo and I walk in the mornings. We've also been nearly hit by people not paying attention. I walk on the left side of the road with Boo on my left so he's protected from the traffic. We've had to jump off the road, far into the grass more times than I can count.
    Katie and Boo

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Carry one of these and blast them, then they will have to go back inside and change their underwear

Quote Originally Posted by k8show View Post
    I don't mind looking silly if it's going to keep me safe.

We've also been nearly hit by people not paying attention. I walk on the left side of the road with Boo on my left so he's protected from the traffic. We've had to jump off the road, far into the grass more times than I can count.
    Oh Katie, I so agree with you. I might look darn silly, but if means I can be seen, I don't worry about it.

Same here, I try to walk on the left with Lexi on my left. I've had to step far onto peolpe's lawns to avoid getting hit. So annoying!

My pretty girl, Lexi!

I walk Shiner every morning. We leave between 5:30 & 6:00 it is always dark, I don't pay any attention to how I dress other than to stay warm and dry. It's dark and I am usually the only person on the streets until around 6:15-6:30 when schools kids start for the bus stop. I'm always very alert watching and listening for anything and I mean anything movement, voices, footsteps, doors opening and closing anything. Before a car can back up someone has to open a door and the inside light will come on than the door has to be shut than you have to step on the brake to start the engine (bright red lights) than it has to be put in reverse now there are brake lights and back up lights there is plenty of time move to a save area or stop and wait. I don't expect anyone backing out of a drive way to be looking for me or my puppy walking in the street.
    All I am trying to say is you have to watch out for yourself and your dog. I am not going to give anyone the opportunity to get my day or their day off to a bad start.

Quote Originally Posted by space View Post
    I don't expect anyone backing out of a drive way to be looking for me or my puppy walking in the street.

All I am trying to say is you have to watch out for yourself and your dog.
    As I said, I try to be alert for people getting into vehicles & backing/pulling out of driveways. But as far as I am concerned, the watching out goes both directions, drivers need to be alert for people, kids, animals as well.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jzgrlduff View Post
    You get close enough to a moving vehicle to kick it? Yikes.
    If I am walking behind a car, and it starts backing up; I really don't have much choice. I will kick it before it hits me.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast