Therapy Dog Training?

Thread: Therapy Dog Training?

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultTherapy Dog Training?

Anyone in the Twin Cities, MN involved with Therapy Dog work. Any suggestions on who does effective training. Retirement is but a few days away and that is one of the first thigs I want to work on with HK.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

hayshakerlabs is offline Senior Member

Try Kathleen Riley-Daniels. I know she does CGC exams and she should be able to help you and if she can not she can refer you to someone who can. I do believe Chantel and Daisy have worked with her a few times as well. I know she did Daisy's CGC exam.

This is her URL http://www.outlawchinooks.com/index.htm

[email protected]
    http://www.hayshakerlabs.com/

Sherry, Saedee, Shyloh, Izzy, Thelma, Natalie, Evon,, Gussa & Parody

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by hayshakerlabs View Post
    Try Kathleen Riley-Daniels. I know she does CGC exams and she should be able to help you and if she can not she can refer you to someone who can. I do believe Chantel and Daisy have worked with her a few times as well. I know she did Daisy's CGC exam.

This is her URL http://www.outlawchinooks.com/index.htm

[email protected]
    Thanks, sent an email
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MNLab is offline Senior Member

Ed,
    Yep Kathleen will be of help. She's friends with the gal who owns Elk River K9 (as well as she trains there some too, I believe) and they do have a therapy dog training program, Kathleen could tell you more about it, or google Elk River K9 and shoot them an e-mail.
    Chantel and...

Daisy, Hayshaker She's Utterly Unforgettable, CGC
    Lola, our mellow yellow gal. Gotcha on 1-7-07

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

I am active in pet therapy and love it!!! It really doesn't require huge amounts of training...either your dog is good at it or not. Basically it really depends on your dog's personality. The only extra I have done is socialize in many different places and people. Your dog has to be great with people of all ages and sizes and disabilities, be okay with unfamiliar noises and object, and good with other animals (sometimes a group will do a therapy visit together and having a dog that isn't good with other animals could spell disaster!) We go to a nursing home and they have resident birds, a cat and a rabbit. And sometimes family will bring in their dog from home. Passing the therapy test is similiar to the CGC however they do expect alot from the dogs as far as being friendly and accepting sudden noise or sudden movement. Any shy, unsure or aggressive dog is not passed.

Also want to add even if your dog passes the test it may not enjoy the work. I used my labrador Gordy for two years as a pet therapy dog and he did great but he really hated it. I retired him after I purchased my cavalier spaniel. She is so much better at it and really seems to enjoy it. With Gordy he would just give me his big brown eye stare...and I could really see he was trying to say, "mom why are we here, can't we go home yet." lol.

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous