new adoption

Thread: new adoption

Defaultnew adoption

we have just adopted a 2 year old black lab named piper. she is sweet,lovable and energetic. the problem is she was crated by her previous family almost 24/7..does anyoe have advice on how to start introducing her to a normal life?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

joflake is offline Senior Member

Thanks for adopting an older dog. I'd say lots of exercise! Does she have any manners at all? If not, I'd tether her to me and go about my day and show her what she needs to do.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Definitely have the crate available for he when she feels the need for her own space. Otherwise, just give her lots of love and attention, play with her, and she'll adapt quickly.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

We need pics! Congrats on your new adoption. You have just made her life so much better. Good luck with the transition and keep us updated.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Can you be more specific? Does she have any issues? Is she housetrained? Any commands under her belt? If it is just social skills she needs - time and love is all she needs.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Hi I adopted a 1.5yo lab mix from the shelter last month. Its been crazy and wonderful. I imagine this dog probably feels safe in the crate and a little afraid of new people and situations. I'd keep her on a leash in the house attached to you. Keep yummy treats with you and load her up when she is brave and investigates. I'd do it for an hour or so at a time (maybe less depending on her stress level), then let her go back in the crate. Eventually, she'll learn that good things happen when I'm with my people, so I'd rather be with them. Work up to longer times out of the crate, always keeping her with you. I'm glad another older dog found a home!

OK..a little more info: Piper does have sit and down pretty well mastered. She inhales her food..we've been working on her jumping on people..I guess the biggest issue is to channel her enthusiam and energy when she is just hanging out with us.. Thank you for the advice about tethering..that makes sense to me because now she just runs frantically from room to room.

bacsibob is offline Senior Member

Labs are incredibly energetic dogs and do best when they have LOTS of exercise. I have a 6 y/o and a 22 m/o and we play ball twice a day for at least 15 mins. In warmer weather they also retrieve from the water (pond).

I would try to get Piper outside and moving as much as possible. You might start out slow if she has not been very active. There are toys available that launch tennis balls a good distance; I have a big sling shot. My shoulders are too old to be throwing that much

Thanks for giving her a home.

Labs: The Natural Antidepressant

Tanya is offline Senior Member

start an exercise program. Depending how much she is used to (sounds like very little) do work up to it, and try to avoid jumping to 2hrs right away. But definately start working up to that. She will need an outlet for the pent up energy. She is a young lab, and will need plenty of daily exercise (including some offleash running time and some good walks).

start looking at obedience classes. I recommend this to everyone who adopts. It helps create a really good bond between owner and dog. Also do some work at home daily. This helps release some mental energy (labs are a working breed, thsu need to work their brain as well as their body).

Finally, set up a routine so she can start predicting how to behave and what is expected. Give her attention and love but also give her some "alone" time if she seems to need it (most will to a certain extent).
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

Great advice so far, especially from Tanya. So I'll just say thanks for rescuing and please post pics!